Low operating pressure | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Low operating pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

Im busy putting together my portfolio to gain ACS entry, and would like to run this situation by you experienced engineers

We recently serviced a Gas fire (valor madiera GC 32 810 67), this appliance has been working for 30+- years, it is serviced yearly.

we are not able to get the operating pressure above 15mbar but the badge states it needs 17.1 mbar (+- 1mbar)
now according to the gas books , this is not allowable because it is outside the limits.

the appliance seems to be working fine, flue flow test was a pass, spillage test was a pass and flame picture is good, but with this model it has a decorative burner designed to give a yellow flame also.

there is a CO detector in the room also.

the Gas engineer i am working with is happy that this appliance is working fine ( better than operating pressure being to high)

If i use this in my portfolio would i have to have remedy the operating pressure problem ?

Standing pressure is 23 mbar ( yes i know it means nothing)

cheers guys

I built mine about 2 months ago, i had a similiar problem with a boiler, but cover yourself in every little aspect, you just have to write in your write-ups explaining the situation, and the remedial work that has to be carrieed out and also refer to the regs e.g. egs corgi book, viper, gsiur, and note down what they say into your sentence write ups, hey i covered my self like this and they took mine in first time on all my appliances, they said all we want to see, is that you know what you are doing and youre safe, and if your not sure you looked it up and proved it to us by writing down what the books say, i cant see a problem with it tbh, good luck with it, try to inclue as much details of every little aspect into your portfolio as this is your tickett to ACS!, good luck.

You should have checked the working pressure at the meter, you are allowed 21mb +/- 2. So lets say you have 19mb and the maximum pressure loss you are allowed is 1mb across the pipe work the Minimum pressure BEFORE is 18mb.

This is where you would need to phone the manu's and find out what pressure loss you are allowed through their boiler(gas valve etc) then you find what you are allowed to have.

If the working pressure @ the meter is less than 19mb then you need to phone transco as the regulator is most likely defective.

If the Working pressure @ meter is at say 23mb and you have 15mb at the boiler you might want to look at is the gas pipe under sized or is there a blockage prehaps ?

TBH if you are doing an portfolio you should be checking the meter working pressure imho

EDIT: CMairiD was quicker than me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i understand, we should check the working pressure at the meter, i can also say that the pipe sizing is undersized, but this installation has been running like this for 20+ years
the lady who lives there has been there since 1933, and she is not going to want us ripping out pipe at this late stage .

is a 1mbar drop out side of manufacturers instructions in this situation warrant shutting down an appliance, bearing in mind there is no central heating in this house just the fire .

thanks for all the comments

Saffa, do you understand why I wanted to know the working pressure at the meter?

i may be missing something but im not sure how mi's can recommend a working pressure at appliance, because surely that would depend on the working at the meter wich would then indicate wether it's within a 1mb tolerance or not ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

LPG lock up pressure can be regarded as the...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
Just do the same action again. Pot at Mac...
Replies
Views
P
Doesn't matter, mod will remove or close it.
Replies
Views
J
As post 10. ALL the appliances working...
Replies
Views
Back