low pressure on shower!!! | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss low pressure on shower!!! in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hello all

I have a problem with a new shower installed in that there is low pressure on the cold supply

There has always been a problem with the cold supply pressure but apparently it used to be ok and it's got gradually worse over time even with the old shower in place.

customer went out and bought a new shower which i fitted

Apparently the pressure is ok when shower first turned on and then the pessure drops out almost completely

As far as i can tell the shower has a seperate feed from the storage cistern in the attic (I could not isolate from cold main)

The shower head is quite high (400mm from ceiling)

I should imagine the amount of head is not more than a meter from the rose to the level of the water in storage cistern.

I was wondering the best solution to the problem.

I haven't had chance to get up in the attic to have a look yet but i wanted to go to job loaded with as much information as can get

Ideas I've had are:
  1. To raise the cistern up by building a trellace and resting the cistern on top
  2. To disconnect the feed to the shower from the cistern and then tee off the cold supply to the cistern (at mains pressure) and connect into shower
  3. Could be a mall functioning ball valve (sticking closed and resricting the flow into the cistern
  4. Some kind of blockage on the supply pipe to the shower maybe some insulation or sediment in cistern.
  5. Malfunctioning gate valve on the shower supply pipe
  6. customer thinks it may be due to air lock
I wonder if anyone could suggest what the most likely cause would be? Which may not be any of the ones i've thought of :)

The thing thats confusing me is that it's coming through fine and then after a few mins it's not?

Thanks very much....Dan

The hot tank is in the airing cupboard right down the other end of the large house

I am not sure as yet whether cold is fed off same cistern as supplies the hot tank

It's such a large house maybe it makes sense to supply the shower off a completely seperate cistern

I've not had chance to look in attic yet

Thanks for any advice

Regards...Dan :)

Upvote 0
If fed from a different tank there could be issues with different head to hot/ cold. You could try back feeding from a mains water tap to blow any air/ blockage out. Ideally get up in the loft and investigate the pipework.

Upvote 0
Yeah sure.....I am pretty sure it's a pressure issue and not the shower.

I actually had to fit the shower live. I couldn't isolate the cold! The hot was ok coz i could isolate the gate valve above cylinder

I guess the cold gate valve is in the attick and with the high ceilings and a short ladder i didn't fancy the climb :)

So anyway I did actually see that the cold is pretty low pressure but hoped it would be enough

Dough!.....Should have used a pressure guage or flow cup on the supply pipe first but a very exited customer rushed out to buy a shower before i had chance

Upvote 0
Is it correctthat there is good pressure initially before it reduces to a trickle?
I had this some months ago but the fault was on the hot side, irregular and difficult to duplicate, fine for weeks and then it played up again before returning to a well behaved shower.
I climbed up to the cwsc and fiddled about with the hw cold feed which had a redundant non-working valve just outside the cwsc.
I felt about with my finger to see if there was a block.... there was. I used a piece of bent hangar wire and hooked out a disc cut by a hole cutter and left in the tank by the installer. My guess is that it had been sucked up when I was putting in my cold feed on the opposite side of the tank.
So.... to cut a long story short, check the cold feed, maybe even just cut to the chase and put a new one in.
TerryH

Upvote 0
Yeah all good suggestions about the cold feed....Thanks for that I will certainly bare that in mind when I'm up the floft hopping between joinsts :)

As for your £10 on an airlock, your money might well be safe my friend! :)

Apparently 3 plumbers came before me and at least 2 ended up with an air lock....So says customer.

Not really sure what to do about it though....I might cut an auto air vent in above the shower or something!?

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
HI Basher UPDATE ; I found a seal kit!! as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can do a few fairly simple tests. To test...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Back