Low pressure rant | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Low pressure rant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Why is it that the service providers are soo useless when dealing with low pressure? I fitted a new combi for a customer over the weekend and fire it up and only getting 15mb at meter with the boiler and hob running. Call them out and the guy tries to blame the boiler saying it is too big, it is a 38cdi and its only the boiler and a 6.5kw hob on the gas. 28mm straight from the meter to the boiler and less than 1mb between. He then tests after the ECV and before the governor and still only has 15mb so calls in for a new main to be run in.
Over sunday and Monday they replaced the first 3m of the main in the road, not sure what size they upgraded to as I was not there. Someone came along today to test and said he was now getting 22mb working pressure at the meter. So I go back this evening to commission my newly fitted boiler only to find I still only have 15mb at the meter. Another guy came out and called me when he was there saying he was getting 21mb and there was no problem. I explain my readings and say how he will need to run the hot tap on the bath on full or put the boiler in to service mode to get a true reading. Get a call back to say he replaced the governor and the meter and then ran the bath and was getting 18 with just the boiler on but wouldn't test with the hob on as well. I was getting 17mb with the boiler alone, but dropped to 15 with the hob also in use. Now someone else is coming out tomorrow to have another look. This isn't the first time I have had issues with the main in the road being undersized due to too small a pipe being fed through the old steel pipework. It is a real pain in the arse. Last time I had a similar problem they just plain refused to upgrade the main even though I was only getting 16mb at the meter.

move to North Devon, wales and west seem to be a good team, happy to dig up roads and do a proper job everytime :)

So just Southern Gas who are nobbers then. I don't understand why they are allowed to leave 16mb working pressure but we aren't, why the difference in the regs that we work to?

Had same argument with em telling em the manufacturers instructions are be all and end all but they don't seem to care as long as they have what they say they should may also help if they stopped turning the pressure down instead of fixing all the leaking mains as well

Had a mysterious one. Gas reckoned he had 19. I was getting 3! So went back took end off ecv and opened up he was puzzled....... 25 mins later turns out restrictor in iron riser shaken down to almost zero!

It can be more variable and complex than first appears. The standing pressure in the main (to which the service is connected) could vary during the day depending on demand and where the main lies on the network. Could measure ok during the day and as the chill sets in in the evening at sundown, could drop lower due to demand. Everyone is putting in fat combis but no one is paying to upgrade the networks.

Normal procedure is to fit guage to evc,fit guage to meter. Record standing pressure on service, fire up appliances,record wp on sp and mtr. If lowish, check neighbouring properties to see if similar.

At the end of the day they have to supply minimum 19mb to the capacity of the meter. All this one appliance stuff is bull. Low pressures on old appliances with no fsd's is deadly. Just keep at risking it they'll soon sort it.

I called out Wales and west the last week, the guys response was " what's wrong with this one wrong colour" lol he changed it all no problem. Anyone know why when you call the call centre they insist on giving you the gas safety advice even though you've already stated that you are gsr and have capped the meter or ecv

It's recorded. Just like how they always give you ref. they have a strict procedure

Is the gas turned off at the meter? "I've capped the ecv" is there a smell of gas? " No" open all the windows and don't turn on the lights " but il get cold and won't be able to see" an engineer will be with you within 2 hours " good I could do with some free cap ends and meter discs" Is there anything else I can help you with? " how's the traffic shall I go home on the M4 or A 470?

you do offten hear the statement "the problem is the boiler is too big/ in service mode". Once you make it obvious to them you are not an idiot and know what your talking about they normally admit defeat and get it sorted.

they can leave you with less than 19mb during "peak demand periods" but telling them you will call them back out an hour later if its still the same gets them to drop that excuse normally.

I live transco lads they are like a rolling free shop.

Always have a smell of gas with ecv off. They arrive faster

Current procedure is ..Working pressure 16mb or more? Gas on. Wp less that 16mb? Gas off..

Current procedure is ..Working pressure 16mb or more? Gas on. Wp less that 16mb? Gas off..

Its a strange one.
19 at meter.
4 pressure absorbtion during peak demand whenever that is lol (on diaphragm meter)
=15 working at meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I figured I should let you guys know in case...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would suggest getting a G3 plumber in to...
Replies
Views
Just do the same action again. Pot at Mac...
Replies
Views
Back