Macerator pump not working? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Macerator pump not working? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A

Amoza

Hi,

I think the macerator pump attached to my new washing machine is not working. At first I thought it was the washing machine as it was showing a fault 'water safety alert' which no one seems to have the faintest idea about and I have been advised by a service engineer to tip it on its side, which didn't work

I switched the pump on (after several months of inactivity due to a previous 'faulty' washing machine) it gave a shudder and then died. I now think the problem has been the pump all along because I took out the pipe coming from the washing machine that is presumably supposed to drain water away and there was nothing coming out even though the machine was taking in water and making lots of noise like it was working.

It is a grundfos sololift that was fitted with the original washing machine in the cellar. It is on the floor with two vertical pipes coming from either side of it - could this present a problem?

Please give me some advice about this because I have been washing my pants in the sink for two months :bigcry: and no one seems to know what the problem is. Help!!

We have a man here who knows his Sanis. Give it till people start getting in after five and I bet he'll be on this like a tramp on chips

Leaving the washing m/c to one side for now, Grundfos water pumps don`t suck water in so check the pipe where the washing m/c hose is connected to the pump for debris. Once your sure it is ok then add water to the Grundfos any way you can and see if the Grundfos operates, discharges the water and stops.

There is no debris in the pipe but when I look into it there i already some water in there (probably from the last time it was used). I switched it on at the plug and it just does nothing now. It made a juddering noise earlier and then just died, now it is not making any noise or attempting to shift any water at all. I don't know anything about these pumps but that can't be right surely - it's supposed to make some sort of noise isn't it? Could there be something clogged or broken inside it?

p.s Thanks very much for taking the time to offer advice!

There will always be some water in the bottom of the tank as a water seal, did you try adding more water as I asked? Around 3 litres will do.

It made a chugging noise for like a second and then stopped, what does this mean?

Sounds like it pumped out 3 litres of water in a second and stopped. You may want to divert your attention towards the washing m/c and see if that pumps water out.

There is definitely nothing coming out of the washing machine. It's going in but nothing coming out of the pipe. Does this mean the pump is ok and it is the washing machine with the problem?

There is definitely nothing coming out of the washing machine. It's going in but nothing coming out of the pipe. Does this mean the pump is ok and it is the washing machine with the problem?

Does sound like it.

Nuts. I was sure it was the pump and that would have much easier to replace. Looks like I will have to get someone in. Thanks very much for your help anyway, at least I can eliminate that as a problem. Much appreciated.

Nuts. I was sure it was the pump and that would have much easier to replace. Looks like I will have to get someone in. Thanks very much for your help anyway, at least I can eliminate that as a problem. Much appreciated.

No worries bud here if you need us.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I am planning to build a small half...
Replies
Views
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That might be the task of the other three butts
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply Shaun. That disgusting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can, as suggested, top up at night/very...
Replies
Views
Back