Main 15 HE boiler leak | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Main 15 HE boiler leak in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alba

My main boiler has developed a drip leak from the area of the condensate trap. It is not excessive, but so far the plumbing engineer has not managed to resolve the problem. The drip starts within 10 minutes of the boiler starting and usually stops after approx. 2 hours. Initially the drain cock and the condensate pipe were tightened, but this didn't stop the drip. New washers were fitted...also not successful. The last unsuccessful procedure was relacing the actual condensate trap which the plumber was confident (wrongly as it turned out) would resolve the problem. A point of interest is that half the removed trap wasdirty and black, and the short rubber hose that connects it to the sump (I think!) was full of carbonlike deposits, some as big as a marble...is this normal? or does it suggest what may be the underlying problem. The plumber said he hadn't seen such a dirty trap before. I should add that the boiler is 3 years old and has been regularly serviced without giving problems up to now. I currently have a service contract, and am concerned there may be a serious underlying problem which my plumber is unaware of. Thanks in advance for any welcome responses

as for deposits yes its normal the boiler has a aluminium silicate heat exchanger ,as for the leak bet its leaking out of the o/flow pipe retaining nut best bet silicone or ptfe a known fault on this boiler

Many thanks for the response...regarding the retaining nut leak what is "ptfe"?

Regarding the carbon deposits, could I reasonably expect them to have been cleaned out during the yearly service, which was carried out just prior to the fault presenting itself.

Thanks again

Alba

Many thanks for the response...regarding the retaining nut leak what is "ptfe"?

Regarding the carbon deposits, could I reasonably expect them to have been cleaned out during the yearly service, which was carried out just prior to the fault presenting itself.

Thanks again

Alba

ptfe is a common as muck sealing tape in regards to the deposits yes it should have been cleaned out but not all traps are easy to remove and your service engineer may know about the leak issue so left well alone cant blame him,manufactors rarely consider access issues with he boilers in regards to servicing/changing parts

I agree with gas man some of these things are a joke like to recharge an ideal boiler you have to take the boiler off the wall and yes Ideal dont offer that service even if you pay them its that bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

G
Didn’t grease the oring before refitting...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
Back