main 30 he boiler. hot water is now cold | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss main 30 he boiler. hot water is now cold in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

colio74

hi
suddenly last night the hot water stopped working on my main 30 he boiler. the heating is still fine and cold water comes through the hot tap but does not fire up the boiler. any ideas? thanks

colio74 ... Initial thoughts are that the hot water switch isn't working ... You up for messin with electrics & water?

yes im not too bad on the basics, ive fitted a shower before and basic diy. but know if its too much for me
is the microswitch easy to find?
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The switch is behind the front case and controls panel. Have you taken this off before? Do you have the manufacturers literature?

yes i have had the panel off before and i do have the manual. am home from work now so will have a look

yes i have had the panel off before and i do have the manual. am home from work now so will have a look

If you feel confident then :
Left hand side behind the drop down control panel you'll see a circular "spaceship" hunk of brass on its end facing you with a switch assembly in the centre! When you turn the hot tap on you should see a thin metal spindle move out of the "spaceship" :rofl: and push a metal paddle switch ... See if that's happening colio74 :) WARNING - don't touch or stick anything in their!!! :)

yes the pin is coming out but doesnt appear to move the switch.

just looked again and the dimple on the metal paddle switch seems to be below where the pin comes out, hence is not connecting and moving it, could it have worn away?

Unlikely colio ... more liely the diaphragm in the "spaceship" ..lol Is stretched! Put your boiler onto hot water only and BRIEFLY with a pencil or something plastic move that switch fully home and see if your boiler kicks into life. If it does you'll probably do a dodo! But at least you'll have proven whether it's the diaphragm or the switch that is at fault :)

where abouts are you based? I already have most of the spare parts in stock for this boiler including the one you're looking at and could sort it for you in no time.

yes the pin is definately sticking in the diaphragm. when i pushed in the switch with a pencil the boiler kicked into life. i am based in barrow in furness, ***bria

You have just done your first boiler diagnosis colio74 :clap: Now the diaphragm is in the middle of the "spaceship" ... that makes me laugh everytime I type it!! LOL

Anyhoo's! ... Mains cold water pressure and a lot of electrics if you mess up ... the parts about £10 -£15 ... I personally think it's worth getting a professional in to change the diaphragm but that's your choice :)

lol you are already a legend so thanks. is it easy to fit ( do you undo the diaphragm and insert a new one) if not i will get someone in. once again thank you very much and where is the best place to get the part?
colin

To the original poster, It's a little too far for me to come sorry, it is against the regulations and law to take the cover off and work on a gas boiler if you are not gas safe registered and I wouldn't advise it no matter what the part as you may touch something you don't know and you won't know how to test it for safety.

I'm actually gobsmacked that someone went through a full diagnosis and repair on here to a none gas safe registered individual and I think it is irrisponsible no matter what the part.

lol you are already a legend so thanks. is it easy to fit ( do you undo the diaphragm and insert a new one) if not i will get someone in. once again thank you very much and where is the best place to get the part?
colin

You turn the cold suply off to the boiler, undo all the screws and split the spaceship in half ..lol ... The rubber diaphragm will become obvious .... it has a right way and a wrong way round by-the-way ... It is also advisable to replace the stuffin box on the front section of the "spaceship" and the 'o'ring on the back section .. AND clean the spindles and grease the whole lot up on re-assembly! Honestly!!! Doing all of that whilst making sure you don't spill a tincy wincy drop of water on the PCB cover!!! Coz they just love to go ape when water hits them!!!

Easy to fit? Yes if you know how! could be a nightmare if you don't!! IMO

i totally respect all opinions and understand. yet i am not a ding bat so greatly appreciate the help given so that now i can get someone in with a diagnosis saving both time and money. if someone tells me they would recommend a professional to fit it then i will do that. i understand the corgi crack etc and would not violate that as i am an engineer myself. so many thanks and keep up the good work honestly, i am truly greatful.
once again thankyou very much steve i am so happy now to have found the fault and will get someone in.

You are welcom colio .... Hopefully someone on here is from your area and will drop you a PM with their mobile .... It is always best to know your limitations my friend :)

You turn the cold suply off to the boiler, undo all the screws and split the spaceship in half ..lol ... The rubber diaphragm will become obvious .... it has a right way and a wrong way round by-the-way ... It is also advisable to replace the stuffin box on the front section of the "spaceship" and the 'o'ring on the back section .. AND clean the spindles and grease the whole lot up on re-assembly! Honestly!!! Doing all of that whilst making sure you don't spill a tincy wincy drop of water on the PCB cover!!! Coz they just love to go ape when water hits them!!!

Easy to fit? Yes if you know how! could be a nightmare if you don't!! IMO

lets hope the spaceship dont pee in the pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
Was the oil pressure checked before replacing...
Replies
Views
Back