MAIN 30 HE not firing up (plz Help) | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss MAIN 30 HE not firing up (plz Help) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

psk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello everyone,

I will be quick on the point. I have a Main HE30 open vent boiler that wont fire up at all.
It is a brand new install and i cant commision it as it wont fire up at all. I have checked all my electrics and i am getting 240v at the switch live
but nothing shows after that. The pump does not operate on switch live but runs if you give it live. that indicates pump is ok
I got main to send their engineer out he was there for 10 mins changed the pcb and still the boiler did not fire up.
I am baffled and cant seem to get my head around this problem. I will appreciate if you could please guide me through this problem.
My initial thoughts were the pcb but thats been ruled out and i have asked main to send in another enginner to check the boiler out but i am curious to know what the problem can be.

Thanks for reading and helping out.

What happened to the Main engineer when it still didn't work ?

What happened to the Main engineer when it still didn't work ?

The guy was in such a rush he spent 10 mins fir in a new pcb the boiler didnt work and he blamed me wrong wiring. I argued with him that i have installed over 10 of these this year all same electrics so what is he talking about. I mean if it reverse polarity the pump should atleast work and there should be some action in the pcb but the thing is dead like a dino

Do you have 240 at the live/neutral connection and 240 on the live to earth ?

Last edited:
i once commisioned 12 boilers and managed to reverse polarity on one its easy done go back and do your basic electrical tests again

i agree with steve but try looping the flow switch see if it fires if it does weak pump or faulty flow switch

To be differant, will go for a faulty selector switch,had two :freak: ...

I would remove your wiring from the boiler or wire it direct , this will prove the fault lies with the boiler, you may find the boiler has not been wired correctly which i have seen a few times or a link ommited. Do you not need a permanent live and a switch live or is there not a reset button or an open circuit on pressure switch or loose connector or duff thermistor perhaps

I would remove your wiring from the boiler or wire it direct , this will prove the fault lies with the boiler, you may find the boiler has not been wired correctly which i have seen a few times or a link ommited. Do you not need a permanent live and a switch live or is there not a reset button or an open circuit on pressure switch or loose connector or duff thermistor perhaps
no permanent live required to this boiler quite hard to get the wiring wrong

had one like that.was the thermistor.very cheap and easy to replace.good luck

I would just put a direct earth, neutral and permanent live to the switched live and if it doesn't fire up throw it back to main and dont worry about it.

If you are still that interested tell the customer to call you when the main engineer arrives and go back to see what it was.

I agree with above good idea .i have seen a batch of boilers wired wrong on the pcb and the customer was just about to buy his THIRD new boiler and i sussed the problem

HI All,

Thanks for your input, i appreciate it sorry for the late reply though.

Engineer's in tomorrow lets see what this one says, i will try wiring the boiler direct and check if it fires up. The pump does not work on switch live but works on direct.So here i got a pump that works on direct current but nothing happens thereafter. I just got a feeling the whole damn things messed up.
Fingers crossed for tomorrows visit by Main.

I will keep you guys updated.
Cheers

Hi!

I havnt been on this forum for nearly a week......felt homesick!
As my original post it turned out to be my fault for not getting all the neutrals together at the junction.
It looked pretty simple when the neutrals were joined together and the boiler fired up,before thyat all sorts of things were jumping in my mind.
conclusion......look at your wiring first.i guess i need a wiring course. any ideas where i can get some help.
cheers

Honeywell do them , but saying that you never stop learning , My mate who has been doing boilers etc for twenty years managed to wire a boiler wrong on my job putting the switch live where the permanent live should be , At the time i was convinced it was a zone valve issue and ended up going through everything with a fine tooth comb and spent ages before sussing the problem , That was a lesson and a half I can guarantee you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
It’s all fixed now. It was the purge circuit...
Replies
Views
Baxi do a fixed price repair around 300 I...
Replies
Views
Does on both
Replies
Views
Back