mains stopcock replacement and water ingress expected? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss mains stopcock replacement and water ingress expected? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetdrip

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
When a stopcock goes belly-up and needs replacing it’s necessary to turn off outside mains to facilitate the replacement of now dead stopcock. Once this is done and there’s no pressure from the outside mains: just how much water ingress will I should I expect when removing/replacing stopcock or its valve?

Cheers, what am I likely to get water-wise from the outside coming into the property?

Depends on mains pressure probably something like this

pd3002056.jpg

or maybe

Manners Mall water mains leak - YouTube

Depends on mains pressure probably something like this

View attachment 7442

or maybe

Manners Mall water mains leak - YouTube

5hit! The first would serve my runner beans well.I think I'll get a surfboard for the second.

It's a job my nipper will be doing, so thought I'd triple-check with you boys on here first, just to see if there's or could be any hidden pitfalls.
It's the outside "water boards" stopcock I'm worried about as it appears if he breaks it he has to pay the water board to fix...a large bill it would be too.
Also, looking at past threads, it appears "some" plumbers er on the safe side and call out the water board to deal with, turn off, their own stopcock- around £40 to do so, thereby covering their a55 liability wise, as water board stop cocks have been know to break or be heavy-handily broken.

Cheers
Guys.

Last edited:
I've never had one break, I've gone to use one and it was already broken and I had one that was inaccessible because of a brick wedged down the hole. In both these cases I phoned the water board who came out and sorted them at no cost to me or the customer.

If you happen to break it just ring the water board and say some local vandals have broken your stoptap....;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Many years ago a neighbour turned his water off and when he turned it back on he didn't stop when the tap was fully opened and unscrewed the mechanism right out of the body. It was quite a sight seeing him try to get it back together before having to call in the water board.

I'm at my best this time in the morning. Just having my morning browse before I walk the dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Contact them again and hope you don’t get the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
All helpful possibilities cheers, I'm hoping...
Replies
Views
You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Back