Making provision - basic questions!! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Making provision - basic questions!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mharries1

Hi,
I am a visitor from the sister electricians forum.
My son is just buying his first house and can't afford central heating for a couple of years so will temporarily be going down the storage heater route as we can do this for under £100 installed for 19kW of heating!
Ultimately he wants full gas ch and will obviously be employing a GasSafe registered installer. Obviously he wants all the major upheaval to be done before he moves in and is looking to make pipework provision to each room which raises the following question :- Is it possible to combine an underfloor heating system with a traditional radiator system? I can see there being issues with not wanting the floors to be as hot as radiators run at!
Many thanks for any replies

Yes, perfectly possible and common for houses to have u/floor heating downstairs and radiators upstairs.

(Please note that we're friendly in here - last time I asked a question in the Electricians Forum I was shot down in flames!!)

There is no problem combining the two types of system.
Ideally he would need to set aside a cupboard for the manifold, zone and blending valves.
Might be a thought to pay pro to come give advice on the best way to go about the job.

Couldn't post full reply for some reason. Have done so successfully below

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.
Early days yet and of course we will be getting proper advice. It was more a question of are we thinking along the right lines (which you have just shown me that I wasn't!).
There is a feeling (correct I think) on the electricians forum that many people (especially diyers) do not begin to comprehend the dangers of electrical work - it's only running a couple of cables type of syndrome. Some also think that the forum should be subdivided into electrical questions from electricians, questions from trainees and questions from non-electricians. That way people with 'entrenched' views will not visit sections that they may find not in accordance with their attitudes and not shoot people down in flames. Arguments on both sides coming down to safety, do you advise a non 'competent' person (as defined in BS7671) to do the work as safely as possible (realising that they will do the work anyway) or do you advise that the best way is not to touch it as forcefully as possible.

Yes, perfectly possible and common for houses to have u/floor heating downstairs and radiators upstairs.

(Please note that we're friendly in here - last time I asked a question in the Electricians Forum I was shot down in flames!!)

yeah but asking if some tin foil round a fuse would be ok to get your ps3 working was a bit of a dumb question , we all know the anser is yes :)

I think what put them off was that I'm Part P qualified ...

... had no idea what 240v meant ...

... and, like all plumbers, couldn't tell the difference between a blue and a brown wire ...

Many sparkies seem to have an inbuilt superiority complex, but I think they are eaten up with jealousy that their trade is not considered important enough to have a statutory registration body like us lowly GSR's.

Ps, why use tinfoil when the inner wrapping from a *** packet works just as well?

Me neither but you'd be amazed at what can be found useful in your average high street rubbish bin.

I think what put them off was that I'm Part P qualified ...

... had no idea what 240v meant ...

... and, like all plumbers, couldn't tell the difference between a blue and a brown wire ...

part p is a builiding reg :))))))))

defined or full DKIA ?

Many sparkies seem to have an inbuilt superiority complex, but I think they are eaten up with jealousy that their trade is not considered important enough to have a statutory registration body like us lowly GSR's.

Ps, why use tinfoil when the inner wrapping from a *** packet works just as well?

Not far wrong in a sideways sort of way (not the superiority bit though!!)
The industry is being devalued by part P and the fact that the part P scam providers have pretty low entry requirements. It is possible to be classed as and advertise yourself as a domestic installer after a 5 week course. Some questions asked show how little basic understanding some people registered under such schemes have and it is truly frightening that these people are deemed the 'proper' people to use (domestically).
Shelf stacker to GasSafe registered in 5 weeks? Doesn't sound safe to me so yes, there is resentment about the entry qualifications to be approved.
'... had no idea what 240v meant ...' Now we all know that 240v is the uk nominal supply voltage plus 4.35%!!
Thanks for the replies and I enjoyed reading the banter

Defined of course (but I wasn't going to tell them that!)

Mind you, I wonder how many plumbers own a megger meter?

Yes but have you tested them? Easiest way is to select insulation resistance and press the test button whilst holding the tips of the probes.
Joking obviously

Quick way to do a hair cut though ... only need one pass of the garden sheers ...

Oddly enough I'm a qualified spark and I also did a gas apprenticeship many years ago and also a plumbing C&G; so I am reasonably qualified.

I prefer the company of Plumbers, Heating Engineers and GSR's as we have a great sense of humour and can take a joke.

Oddly enough I'm a qualified spark and I also did a gas apprenticeship many years ago and also a plumbing C&G; so I am reasonably qualified.

I prefer the company of Plumbers, Heating Engineers and GSR's as we have a great sense of humour and can take a joke.

theres a name for people like you

clever cloggs

Not really mate, I just enjoy learning stuff, I started at a very early age and see no reason to ever willingly stop :)

fully agree , every string to ya bow , hence why I've just been and done my part p , sush though don't go telling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

D
Replies
Views
Y
Could we have some essential info please...
Replies
Views
C
the 200w is a very efficient boiler and with...
Replies
Views
ecowarm
E
Back