manu's fixed price repair | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss manu's fixed price repair in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancinplumba

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
why do we tell OP's to do this ? fair enough if they carnt afford anything else, but otherwise we are giving the enemy work imo

I do if it looks like it's going to cost more to repair. You lose one job but get an awful lot of goodwill in return and you'll be the first choice for any other plumbing/heating works.

you could lose servicing and they may end up taking manu's insurance out. i try to keep all opposition out of the picture if i can, unless feel the cust cant afford anything else

I always give customers all the options, if its going to be cheaper for manufacturers to effect repair then I like to think the goodwill gained from being honest is worth it's weight in gold, and I can sleep soundly at night.

In thread mentioned above the boiler can't be that old and IMHO would be worth saving, for you or I to repair wouldn't be cost effective but Vaillant will do it for 200 or so it's a no brainer.

If you tell the customer it will cost £X amount but if you get the manufacturer out it will be a fixed price and cost you less who do you think they will call next time? The person who said yes I can fix it but this is the cheaper option or the manufacturer who will say it will cost you this much no matter the problem. Most people will go for the honest person.

I wouldnt ever recommend a manufacturer on here though as that is passing money on to them. Have it looked at first.

If you tell the customer it will cost £X amount but if you get the manufacturer out it will be a fixed price and cost you less who do you think they will call next time? The person who said yes I can fix it but this is the cheaper option or the manufacturer who will say it will cost you this much no matter the problem. Most people will go for the honest person.

I wouldnt ever recommend a manufacturer on here though as that is passing money on to them. Have it looked at first.

I know for a fact that this very rarely works and one of my experiences is very recent and personal.

Son in law rings me the gas boiler has broken down, I know there are a lot of gas safe techs in Belfast so advised him to buy local plus it would cost more in diesel for me to drive there and I would not be legal when I cross the border.

He calls a local RGI who tells him most likely the board but Worcester Bosch have a one price £250.00 repair.

All goes well he needs a new PCB and practically all components are changed during the trouble shooting.

I asked if he kept the first Gent's number for future services etc

"No, but I might be able to find him again."

That Gents is the loyalty you can expect from today's consumer for doing the "Right Thing"

Most of you are supposed to be in business, Act Like Businessmen.

I pass on leads all the time, however I expect leads in return or I will offer the job as a main contractor to another contractor as a sub contractor.

If I genuinely thought I would have to throw a heap of parts at a boiler to repair, I would offer a replacement (often the best advice not taken) or recommend a fixed price repair.

Recently told a customer I couldn't guarantee boiler would be 100% after a pump replacement so recommended a replacement (baxi 105 instant (had a funny feeling it was a junker)) and lo and behold, replaced pump and diverter was passing. Baxi would have prob repaired both faults for fixed price, so felt a bit bad afterwards. Thankfully they can live without diverter repair until they have a new boiler fitted in new location.

If I genuinely thought I would have to throw a heap of parts at a boiler to repair, I would offer a replacement (often the best advice not taken) or recommend a fixed price repair.

Recently told a customer I couldn't guarantee boiler would be 100% after a pump replacement so recommended a replacement (baxi 105 instant (had a funny feeling it was a junker)) and lo and behold, replaced pump and diverter was passing. Baxi would have prob repaired both faults for fixed price, so felt a bit bad afterwards. Thankfully they can live without diverter repair until they have a new boiler fitted in new location.

I too would offer the replacement especially when it means an upgrade to a condensing boiler, the manufacturers are not helping the RGI's by overpricing the parts to us and worse offering them for sale to anyone with the cash at the same prices regardless of competence.

Loyalty is a two way street unfortunately the manufacturers don't see it that way, we must buy their replacement parts or products while they knife us in the back offering one price for any repair.

Appears they want to squeeze out the small operators which is why I very seldom repair gas boilers, in fact for 2012 I have one gas boiler repair to my credit and that was a freebie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hey, forum friends! 👋 Excited to introduce...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Noisy Tap - Replace Breach??? Sounds like you...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
To be fair some places in London have an...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
J
Replies
Views
Back