Max Kw boiler size for 3 port valve. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Max Kw boiler size for 3 port valve. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

billski

Gas Engineer
Hello all,
perhaps some one can tell me..is there a maximum size of kw boiler that can be used with a 3 port valve? The system is a gravity fed, 2 pipe system system with a heat only boiler.
British Gas have said the 3 port valve needs replacing with 2 2 port valves as the a 3 port should not be used with a boiler of 18 kwts or more. Any thoughts most appreciated.
Thanks.

horse poo there should be a pump on your system tho

Hmmmm never heard of that before, you can get a 28mm 3 port valve, 28mm for a maximum of 18kW seems abit lame to be honest but hey every day is a school day BG always know best :38:

Hmmmm never heard of that before, you can get a 28mm 3 port valve, 28mm for a maximum of 18kW seems abit lame to be honest but hey every day is a school day BG always know best :38:

The existing pipe work is 22 mm and I've been asked to quote to replace the boiler. Honeywell say a 3 port can be used up to 26kwts so not sure what B gas are on about then. I've seen part of their quote and it says anything over 18kwts should be converted to 2 2 ports. Never heard that before so didn't know what to say.

Last edited:
I thought the 22mm valve could only pass about 18kw of heat and the 28mm about 26kw? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something like that. Converting to an S plan would be better anyway.

I thought the 22mm valve could only pass about 18kw of heat and the 28mm about 26kw? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something like that. Converting to an S plan would be better anyway.

22mm will handle 30 kw maximum so will handle most events

and agree s plans are better

22mm will handle 30 kw maximum so will handle most events

and agree s plans are better

22mm 3 port definitely wont pass 30kw. I think its about 18kw or maybe 20, not more than that. That will also be split when the valve is in the mid position as well.

From Honeywell The V4073A valve has been designed to control the flow of water in a small bore domestic central heating system where both radiator and hot water cylinder circulation are pumped. It is typically suited for systems up to 90,000 Btu/h (26 KW).

22mm 3 port definitely wont pass 30kw. I think its about 18kw or maybe 20, not more than that. That will also be split when the valve is in the mid position as well.

honeywell and drayton are rated to just shy of 100,000 btu round about 28kw

From Honeywell The V4073A valve has been designed to control the flow of water in a small bore domestic central heating system where both radiator and hot water cylinder circulation are pumped. It is typically suited for systems up to 90,000 Btu/h (26 KW).

Pretty sure that's for the 28mm valve, not the 22mm one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
A
Are you sure it’s still vented? Should have...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
C
Seems reasonable but I'd still rather have...
Replies
Views
Back