Metal "lugs" on old taps (for square holes maybe)? Any problem with removing them? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Metal "lugs" on old taps (for square holes maybe)? Any problem with removing them? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all

Some old taps have what I'm describing as metal lugs (but just because I can't think of any other word to use!!) like these:

Taps.png

Am I right in saying that these are for when fitting to sinks with square tap holes?

If so, besides a hacksaw, are there any ways of making these compatible with sinks that have round holes?

I have actually had a go with a hacksaw and I think it worked well, but from a plumbing point of view could it cause any problems? The taps I tried it on are used so I don't want to do the same on new (old stock) taps if it isn't a good idea.

Here's a couple of photos of what I did.

Many thanks

IMG_20210513_134234860.jpg

IMG_20210513_134241973.jpg

Yep that’s fine could use a grinder if your careful

Slightly off topic... But on the subject of those metal "lugs".... If a tap has them, does that mean it is old? If so, when did they stop putting them on taps?

And was their purpose to make for a better for in sinks with square holes, or do they serve another purpose?

Cheers

Slightly off topic... But on the subject of those metal "lugs"***. If a tap has them, does that mean it is old? If so, when did they stop putting them on taps?

And was their purpose to make for a better for in sinks with square holes, or do they serve another purpose?

Cheers
And yet I have a feeling I've seen them on taps that aren't old, but that presumebly are made to an old pattern. May be wrong - it may have been on a job where I was refitting an existing tap. Sometimes modern tap holes are large enough that the lugs will fit inside the round holes.

My understanding is that they were to prevent tap rotation. Presumably they disappeared after silicone sealant replaced the use of putty for sealing around taps to save money to allow for greater flexibility in installation.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just for future reference, a grub screw doing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done, BUT, does it work and then does it...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Thanks to you all for your thoughts, much...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Bristan is usually my first choice for taps...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, will look for their single hole...
Replies
Views
Back