Mid position valve clicking HW. 2 years now with emersion on 24/7 please help!! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Mid position valve clicking HW. 2 years now with emersion on 24/7 please help!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Le Feuvre

:38:Hi

As the title suggests ive an ongoing issue with my second complete replacement mid position valve.

Originally replaced as the old honeywell that leaked (6 cables btw) to a corgi 5 wire one. But it worked fine, including after my boiler was renewed.

Parts renewed

1. Boiler
2. Programmer
3. Room stat
4. Junction box
5. 2 x Mid position valves

Ive had a plumber and sparky come out and said all is fine, then left with the same issue.
It all works as it should but this clicking when calling for HW, the spring inside the motor i can see moving back and forth, when CH only no clicking.

Im at my wits end with this issue, my electric bill is going up at a crazy rate, i spoke to another sparky yesterday and he said he could be there 8 hours trying to find the issue (no thanks to £250!)

Its a y plan system, if anyone could help please do, i can check any suggestions you may have inc videos and /or pics

I'm missing the point this is as the result of a new heating install as you say you've renewed the boiler?? Get the installer back

The boiler install has nothing to do with it as it this issue occurred way after when the mid position valve was replaced, so it was all working fine with the old honeywell 6 cabled valve, so with the corgi 5 cabled valve minstalled ive had thos ongoing issue, hope that makes sense

Sorry it was the fact that you listed boiler so couldn't see the relevance, maybe wrong but I believe this should assist. image.jpg

Ill post a pic of the new control panel that i was advised to get to eliminate any wiring issues.20151114_125446.jpg

I would get the wiring double checked by a heating engineer, there should be no power going to the valve when calling for HW only. The orange wire will be live, but its just a switch wire so wont move the valve in any way. Shouldn't need any sort of fancy control panel either! :)

Hi guys thanks for the reply

The panel was suggested to my by an electrician/plumber whos been in the business for 30+years. It was intended to eliminate any wiring issues because of its layout. My father in law wired it who's a retired plumber, i know its the exactly neat but its all there.

The slight burn is from the old connection block from the 80's.

The programmer is powered from a fused spur

This is getting a bit odd.... Whats with the 2nd wiring centre?

Judging by the pics I'm looking at this needs wired from scratch. I'd be checking if there's any voltage getting to where it shouldn't be when on HW only

Last edited:
Its a before picture thats why i was told to change it lol

The other is showing the wiring for the programmer

The grey cable comes on and off in sync with the clicking, the orange and white are 230v on aswell. Todat i took the actuator off and removed the grey, even swapped white and grey around then the clicking was when CH was called....? This is so strange, everything was perfect before the valve was changed and we went down a wire to 5. If i bought another!! valve from say honeywell, do you think this could work?

When HW is off the grey will be live, turning on the HW will make the orange live and the grey should be dead. The white should only be live when calling for CH. I would be tempted just to re wire all the controls into a basic wiring centre, then see how its working. If its still playing up once its wired correctly you 3 port valve is faulty

Ok thanks Ally, i can see your thinking on this and will try again with another wiring centre. My guess is that the valve is faulty as 3 different people have checked the wiring and said it's right, but ill change it anyway. The valve seems very hot to touch is that normal? And can i buy another valve head assembly that fits on, rather than draining down again? Its a Corgi at the moment, so ill try another brand, would be nice if another head fitted.

You can just change the head, im sure the Corgi and Honeywell heads both fit the same body. Be strange that two Corgi ones have been faulty though. If you change the head and have the same problem, its definitely a wiring issue, or a problem with another component in the system. But by the sounds of it everything has been renewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I don't believe so. If both are demanded, the...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
P
Mr Speaker: I'm tempted to draught a sarcastic...
Replies
Views
Just looking at the photo of your wiring...
Replies
Views
A
Or a competent heating engineer
Replies
Views
Back