mid position valve you think.... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss mid position valve you think.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Just had a call from a client, house has gone cold, no fault code on boiler. So I tell him to go upstairs and turn stat up on water cylinder and it fires. So then I tell him to put mid valve in manual until the morn. So, is it just the mid valve or shall I take a room stat with?

Programmer? Room stat? Cylinder stat? mid position valve?

any of the above or combination of!!

Wrong time of year for it but a good one I had was.
Customer call and explained that heating had a mind of its own, came in the middle of the night was cold in the morning, don't know whats going on!! Rush round as it was a new'ish job only to find that when they had rest set the clock to winter time the had only wound it on 12 hours not all the way round!!

Wrong time of year for it but a good one I had was.
Customer call and explained that heating had a mind of its own, came in the middle of the night was cold in the morning, don't know whats going on!! Rush round as it was a new'ish job only to find that when they had rest set the clock to winter time the had only wound it on 12 hours not all the way round!![/QUOTE

Always look for the obvious a

It's normally the 3 port if we're going on probability... Room thermostats & programmers are normally pretty solid...

It's normally the 3 port if we're going on probability... Room thermostats & programmers are normally pretty solid...

That's exactly what I was thinking. But in this game, always prepare for the unexpected

Time to get the multi-meter out!

Your order of testing should be 1 - is the programmer sending out power to the room stat, 2 - is the room stat sending power to the mid-valve, 3 - is the mid-valve sending power to the boiler. If you test in that order you should find the fault quite quickly.

Martin

I have a Sparks on the end of the phone!! did our apprenticeships together at the same firm!! so I don't get to involved in that side if I can help it!! but you need to check that the cylinder stat is also working as in sending the heating of back through to the 3 port to motor over to the first micro switch for heating to motor it over again. learnt that one early on, spent hours tracing, checking swapped 3 port, even changed the programmer ( customer wanted a new one anyway) only to find it was a £10 cylinder stat!!

I have found the Honeywell app on my phone quite good as it give wiring diagrams for all type of system, and some fault finding!

Thanks chaps. It was the 3 port valve motor. So all is good now. The hot water wouldbswitch off while the heating was on and then the heating wouldn't come back on again. All good now though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

G
  • Question
Dodgy contacts on old programmers or cylinder...
Replies
Views
Thermostat changed... With the new one, it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
I will have to experiment like you said and...
Replies
Views
Back