Minimum height of gas boiler flue void for inspection hatches? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Minimum height of gas boiler flue void for inspection hatches? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmarsden0

Hi

I have a Powermax 155x situated in the middle of my flat which has a boiler flue running the width of the flat (5m) to an outside wall. The flue runs along the ceiling void, and is concealed.

The void is only 96mm in height, I understand that they are usually much taller. One contractor has refused to fit inspection hatches because there won't be enough space to properly inspect/replace the flue if they had to - so the hatches won't meet regulations. Another contractor says that as long as hatches are fitted every 1m then it's fine.

Could anyone tell me if I am breaching reg's by fitting hatches every 1m with a void of just 96mm? As not all parts of the flue are available to buy, I cannot move the Powermax to an outside wall or lower the existing flue in order to create more void. If I cannot fit hatches I need to install a new boiler/flue,etc :censored:

Cheers,
James

normall every flue joint needs to have a access hatch within 1.5m for inspection. its sounds like a hatch 1.5m away in your case will not allow full visability of the joints for inspection, so a hatch at every joint would be advisable (normally 1m spacings). An engineer inspecting the boiler and flue will need to be able to confirm the flue is complete and that all joints are sound and correctly installed. I also think its a requirement that atleast one hatch must be 300x300mm.... dont know how this can and should be adhered to if the void is smaller than this, but providing the inspection of the flue can be done correctly i think you will be ok.

not sure how you could fully inspect the integrity of flue when the void is only 96mm, unless you have a head the size of an un-rip orange. My gas inspector for my area is a bit iffy about these boilers and recommends ripping the powermax's out.

years ago we were asked to take over a job in victoria which had these boiers in with all the flues through ceiling voids even then we refused it saying they needed to be accessble for inspection
these were million pound flats and some of the flues run right down the length of the massive lounge i bet they are well pleased at having six or seven hatches cut into their ornate ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Was thinking of just ringing round any ladder...
Replies
Views
In my experience, the way these things usually...
Replies
Views
F
maybe because its a little slow within this...
Replies
Views
(I would have thought an alternative to...
Replies
Views
L
So chuck years ago when fitting the 300mm x...
Replies
Views
Back