Mixer Tap not mixing - cold spurts out independent of hot flow | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Mixer Tap not mixing - cold spurts out independent of hot flow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mr_p_mart

HI there,

I'm not a plumber but am considering changing the kitchen mixer tap as I think its not working right, but Im not sure;

Its a mixer tap, but the hot and cold water come out of the end unmixed. Theres no aerator on the end (nor any threads wher eone may have been/ may be fitted) and if I look closely I can see how the cold water comes out a central tube and the hot from the 'barrel' around it. The problem is that the while the hot water comes out at a normal flow rate, the cold water jets out at what feels like higher pressure - but it could just be that its being forces through a smaller outlet. Its really irritating, splashing back off the basin and your skin can be burnt in the middle of a flow of cold water at the same time.

I have a combination boiler and am in a 3rd floor apartment so inintially I thought the cold water is being pumped in at high pressure, and the boiler is taking the pressure out of the hot source, hence the difference between the two. HOWEVER, the bathroom taps, which are separate hot and cold have a similar flow in each which makes me think its the kitchen tap which is the problem.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks!

Peter

Thanks 20160415_095342.jpg20160415_095316.jpg

Your combi will restrict the hot flow as it can only produce *** amount of litres of hot water per minute. Your cold will be belting through straight through from the mains. If it is a problem temp wise you could install a tap where the hot and cold mix in the body rather than at the end of the spout. It sounds to me like your current tap is working ok. Alternatively you could put a pressure reducing valve on the cold side to throttle it down a bit

Could also be that your hot is blocked a little or scaled

thanks so much for some long saught after informed advice! How would I know which type tap to get to make sure it mixes within the body. Also is fitting a pressure reducing valve a lesser or greater job to someone without experience?

Cheers

Much of a muchness really. If you change the tap you will need to take the pipework apart and the same if you fit a prv

Modern kitchen tap mixers have the hot and cold separate and they do not mix. The spout is the divider at the body. That way the mains cannot be mixing with tank water or the opposite.
I am not sure if you can get a kitchen mixer tap that does actually mix the water, like the old taps did.
Normally, if the hot is to left & cold to right, then the hot should come out of the centre of spout, - not the cold!
Try to get a mixer that has good flow, but aerated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take flow readings where ever you can. Just...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Got intermittent hot water coming the from a...
Replies
Views
Back