More Questions | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss More Questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright men its been a while, been really busy so havn't had chance to post, im off work at the minute because my sholder in knackerd. i managed to complete the outside tap the other day which i started ages ago, ill put some photos up today when i get a chance, u'll laugh your heads off but im just glad to have the tap working. also i picked up some footprints from car boot yesterday for 2qiud a bit battered and rusty but work a treat. anyway got some questions.

bought a pipe freeze kit from wickes today,, do i use the whole tin which is 200mm for one freeze? also can i cut the freeze jacket in half to make 2 jackets?

if i want to put an additive or is it an inhibitor in to my central heating system. what do i use to put it in and where?, wickes sell an additive injector any good?..also the one a was looking at was a noise reducer additive, do u think this will reduce hissing and tapping?

If the additive injector has a tube, you can most likely inject it at the filling loop point (providing you have a standard isolation valve) or a radiator air vent/cap.

Where are you hearing the hissing/tapping sound from?

the tapping is coming from one of the rads which is in a fly over room,, which is alot colder than the rest of the house, my mrs reckons the boiler hiss's but to be honest ive never really heard it hiss, just tapping noise's now and again, which i rekon is probably from expansion.. its mainly this one rad which makes lots of tapping also sounds like water trickling in side it?

Do you hear the noise when the radiator is hot? It could be 'kettling' which is caused by hot water and air bubbles. You can add a silencer chemical into the system to try and reduce the noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
the tapping is mainly when the boiller its starting up, and then trickling noise in the one rad which stops but that rad seem to make more noise while its hot than other rads, like a constant hissing, humming noise inside rad if that makes sence... when my baby wakes up im gona bleed the rads for a start to see if that helps.. also can u recommend a silencer chemical.. thanks

If you are in a hard water area then you will have scale building up in heat exchanger, silencer seems to work better on older cast iron boilers, you may be better off running a de-scaler through it , flushing system , then adding inhibitor ! Tapping as you say could be pipe expansion or TRV on wrong side of radiator.

its a combi boiler and we live in a soft water area, also which side are trv's ment to be on? i bleed the all the rads and the one in the fly over room had about 5 seconds of air and the towel rad had 10 seconds of air, and the rest had none. my mrs has also added the rad in the fly over only gets warm and not hot? do u think this is a blockage in the rad.. should i take the rad off and flush it out with hose pipe?.. also any1 used the pipe freeze kit from wickes? thanks men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/files/pdf/pdf303...
Replies
Views
I was referring to the HW Cylinder temperature...
Replies
Views
As a young man i installed a lot of one pipe...
Replies
Views
L
It wouldn't require a lot to put this system...
Replies
Views
Norcs
N
Don't forget to make sure you buy your gas...
Replies
Views
Back