Most expensive job? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Most expensive job? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefaz

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Been to see a lady just there. She's recently had to have to the boiler repaired
the job was to change a thermocouple on an Apollo.
£183.60......I don't know how he can sleep at night!!
What the most expensive you have heard of? (British Gas not included)

I had one the other day.
Following a call re all hob burners off I advised on phone to check if theres an isolation valve.

He said yes and established it was in off position on phone.
(Mrs had perhaps knocked it off in pan cupboard)
advised him over phone to save me driving 8 mile.
He insisted I come - so I did.

5 minutes later and £40.00 thanks

Sadly peoples stupidity doesnt pay my bills.

But wow £183 for thermo lol.
Was it gold plated

Last edited by a moderator:
£440 to fit an external expansion vessel it looked horrid can't belive the customer paid them was ridiculous

Been to see a lady just there. She's recently had to have to the boiler repaired

Bargin

Repair of Saniflo. 45mins later, the cream ensuite carpet was sprayed with sewage, the toilet overflow snapped off and the Saniflo still didnt work.
Cant remember exactly how much it was but the customers carer had signed the forms before work started and approx £240 was paid.

To be fair though, in the days of Yellow Pages, I would regularly charge £120-£150 for small jobs -
switching peoples water on when somebody has turned it off in street
Turning a washing machine valve off in a restaurant. The lever wasnt on and they had no idea how to turn it off.
Still struggled to YP exorbitant rates

Last edited:
Company I subbed to briefly before they went under. Went to a job a previous guy from the company had done but he didn't have time to return to it once they were told it was leaking. He'd installed a 15mm compression stopcock on a length of copper for £120.

Guy I did work experience with a couple of years ago, it was the day all the check a trade leaflets had gone out and it was snowing. His phone was going all day, one job we went to they couldn't get the boiler going. He was starting to take the case off and it fired up and all working. £90. (it was either that or he tapped a motorised valve) It was honestly no more than that.

Same bloke told me how he also got called out one day, woman couldn't work the heating. He turned her room stat up that she didn't know they had. £90.

I often get asked why I decided on doing plumbing and heating. Can ££$$ never ££$$ think ££$$ of ££$$ a ££$$ sensible ££$$ answer.

Yeah right, one day maybe. :)

there is also the alternative where people dont charge enough and those that want to make a living get grief for invoicing a decent amount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so 180 is a rip off we all agree, but it could have been something like;

1st hours labour, diagnose faulty part
Pop to spares shop, not in stock, ordered online plus delivery maybe they even added a new thermo cut out that joins the thermocouple which would have been extra & some spares are a rip off these days!
Pop back to fit, another 1st hours labour charge... Probs not far off 180 already???

Often find pumps turned off where people jam cupboards full of boxes or squeeze a mattress between a wardrobe and a wall. They know the call out fee before I go so cant complain when I`m only there for 5 minutes. Often get asked to lie about it on the paperwork so hubby doesn`t know lol.

I went out to a job where they had an emergency plumber come out to a faulty float valve in the toilet. He removed part of the float valve part of the syphon and cut out 6" of pipe going to it, they charged £200 for that and quoted £350 to fix it.

£1100 to replace 1 length of gutter they had to hire scaffolding for the day but still

Okay, so 180 is a rip off we all agree, but it could have been something like;

1st hours labour, diagnose faulty part
Pop to spares shop, not in stock, ordered online plus delivery maybe they even added a new thermo cut out that joins the thermocouple which would have been extra & some spares are a rip off these days!
Pop back to fit, another 1st hours labour charge... Probs not far off 180 already???

i also thought that. Customer says in and out half an hour. I work for grid now,but still have my own business and I still thought wow. She was old! I tried to find a way to back this guy up but I just couldn't.

I had a customer call me and ask if I could do a landlords certificate for a single gas appliance any cheaper than her previous engineer!!! He charges £150+vat! I said I could do 3 for that! And still be happy

Been to a job in Bromley today. Blocked basin. Just had to replace the S-trap that had been blocked by occupants filling it with caustic soda to shift a slow blockage. Bill, £120 only.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That’s there problem you pay them to fix it...
Replies
Views
It looks like a bog standard, at the moment it...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Hi Thanks for posting on the forum...
Replies
Views
Back