Motorized valve on return | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Motorized valve on return in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

You mean the CH valve on the return and the first rad heating up? If the valve is closed then you won't get any circulation from the pump when HW is calling. You might however get whats called thermal drift, whereas the hotter less dense water travels up and towards the radiator and replacing the cooler and more dense water.

Thermal drift can happen wherever the valves are. If you put the MV on the flow it should prevent this drift when HW is calling but you could still have the drift from HW return back up through, in which case use an NRV on the CH return.

Tbh that would be bad practice IMO. I'm not convinced any NRVs are properly tested and rated for CH use. Then when something like this fails you'll have no flow round the system.

I do agree with you yes and technically, like you say if the system is piped correctly you shouldn't get any reverse circulation but reverse circulation and thermal drift are to different things and I have known the latter to occur.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the replies I decided to reroute...
Replies
Views
M
  • Question
Sounds like a typical symptom of a sticking...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I wouldn’t even entertain turning them off...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Recommend to fit on the flow pipe
Replies
Views
Back