move soil pipe outside? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss move soil pipe outside? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

russblade

I want to move my soil pipe to outside of the house, it currently runs up just inside the house and as I am changing the bathroom i want to move it. It runs from the bottom floor through the down stairs toilet and the up stairs toilet and out the tiled roof. I believe it is cast iron pipe the question is... is it a big job ? and if i got someone in to do it what would it cost me, many thanks all in advance,

you will possibly need a groundworking/drainage company to alter the drains outside then you could run a new plastic one up the wall. Without looking at the job i could not say what the cost would be, get some quotes from local firms.

as destroyer has mentioned, check the vent is not asbestos first, as the cost of having this removed will have to be considered.

I normally get a friend to dig out and alter pipework underground, this is your first £200 approx, then to run new pipework up the wall and then alter all the existing pipework from inside to suit new position, would probably cost £500. So about £700 all in is a rough price.

i agree you're probably looking at around £700 but it depends where you are in the country

It doesn't hurt to help and give a rough price.

I'm sure if he gets a couple of plumbers in to have a look at what exactly is involved he will get an accurate one. Too much of i read on the internet it should only cost £??

I'm sure if he gets a couple of plumbers in to have a look at what exactly is involved he will get an accurate one. Too much of i read on the internet it should only cost £?? a rough estimate is like an approximation which in reailty is a lot better than nothing, many tradesmen in moray seem to be too busy to bother or don't bother at all. thanks if you willing to give me an estimate please do let me know many thanks for your input
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure if he gets a couple of plumbers in to have a look at what exactly is involved he will get an accurate one. Too much of i read on the internet it should only cost £??
a rough estimate is like an approximation which in reailty is a lot better than nothing, many tradesmen in moray seem to be too busy to bother or don't bother at all. thanks if you willing to give me an estimate please do let me know many thanks for your input

Better still ask friends for one they recommend, just because the above post says those ones are a member of a worthless association does not make them good.

Worthless?? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If it wasn't for that "worthless association" and their other associates (APHC CIPHE, HVCA, JIB, BPEC, IDHE, Summit Skills etc) this trade would be in a much worse state than it is at the moment.
Without getting into an argument that would cover everything from rates of pay, pensions and benefits to health and safety and training and standards of works, it is them and their like who set the standards for others to follow.
Not everyone is a course cowboy and some of us still willingly pay a subscription to be a member of an organisation that acts for the benefit of all in the trade whatever your background.
Recommendation is always a good thing and should perhaps be a first call as finding a good knowledgable tradesman is hard to do these days but the above link gives you a better chance of finding reliable, established, businesses which employ fully trained plumbers committed to high levels of customer service.

There is always Findaplumber or Trusted trades.com and the other internet bandits out to make a living (or a killing) if you are stuck but don't hold out much hope of actually getting a decent one who is capable of much more than a tap washer.
Most good plumbers don't need to use this internet dross but unfortunately for the masses they are hard to find.

For the OP: An approximation: more than a ton and less than 2 grand: how long is a piece of string?
Phone a local plumber!

Yes your right, phone a local plumber, preferably who comes recommended. Dont just ring somebody because they are part of an association, any Tom, Dick and Harry can be a plumber, no qualification or experience needed and many of them join these things as they cannot get work from recommendations.

still on the job.... glad I'm not in a rush !..............................
anyway I am going to move my soil pipe out side. I have dug out where the soil pipe comes out of the house and it looks like the down stairs toilet is not connected to the main stack and despite me diggin around I can't see if it is joined on to the main stack. I have opened the man hole and found 4 gulleys, one for the down stairs toilet, one for the downstairs basin, one for bath sink toilet up stairs , and one for kitchen sink, is it possible the down stairs toilet does not have a vent pipe ??? I know that is not the norm but it does look that way and its an old house,the soil pipe is of iron, ( any tips on removing the iron soil pipe would be great) the floors are concrete.
Any advice would be well appreciated. Russ

well have fun mate were are you based (the job) if you want i can pop round and have a look for you and try and help if i can spent some time ground working and know what i need to know.

2 days of digging and pain in the but trying to get all the pipe to line up from clay to plastic
just to move a stack 2ft over

nope not for me anyway lol
i just did what i was told
DSC00150.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

i was told to use what was on the job and there wasn't any money to get uther bits
Photo-0220.jpg

Photo-0223.jpg

but i did get to play all day

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that upwards pointing adjustable 90 in the second picture connecting to a vertical soil stack?

not to mention what will happen in a couple of months when he calls you out cause he's up to his ears in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
Thank you
Replies
Views
Back