Moving a toilet/ vent pipe? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Moving a toilet/ vent pipe? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

la poste

Greetings.

I have been asked to move a toilet, not the best job in the world but there you go.

The idea is to move a toilet into a small room next door to the one it is presently in and use the space left by the moving of the toilet to put a small shower in.

Now underneath the existing toilet is the toilet waste pipe which I can use as a drain for the shower
and also a drain for the toilet when placed in its new position next door.
I have been told to make sure the shower has a U bend trap to stop any bad smells
from rising up and entering through the shower plug hole.
I hope this is correct.

Whist I was having a look around I noticed a vent pipe next to where the existing
toilet is and this vent pipe is using up very valuable space.
I have hardly any space to play with.
The vent pipe has to come out and either be moved next door to where the toilet is now to be situated
or discarded altogether.

My main question is do I really need a vent pipe, there will be one shower, one toilet
and one wash basin all flowing down the same hole?
If I need a vent pipe does it have to be three inches?
Can a vent pipe be made of a much smaller pipe?
A smaller pipe would help me because I could move the vent pipe from its existing location
and place it next door and with the very little space available to me having a smaller diameter
vent pipe would make my life much easier.

All pipework is to be placed under the floorboards and hidden.
The toilet and shower will be on the ground floor.

I hope this post makes sense and any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the waste pipe all internal?
you need to keep the vent pipe.
it has to be minimum 3"

Thanks Simon.

The waste pipe is internal.
Well it's internal and then drops down and goes under the house to a manhole about three meters away outside the house.

I will take some pictures tomorrow.

Ok The vent pipe is staying but the toilet is being moved.
The toilet is going to be in a position where the cistern has to be placed to one side of it.
The cistern will be above and slightly to the left of the toilet.

The pipe that runs from the cistern to the toilet will have to have a bend to the left and also a bend to the right
forming a sort of swan neck.

My question is can you get these pipes with all sorts of bends in them or is it possible to bend them yourself?

Many thanks.

so its not a close coupled wc??
what sort of distances are you hoping for?
is this visible when its finished? would a concealed cistern be better?
most things are possible but not necessarily advisable. would it flush properly??
some pictures or more information might help.

so its not a close coupled wc??
what sort of distances are you hoping for?
is this visible when its finished? would a concealed cistern be better?
most things are possible but not necessarily advisable. would it flush properly??
some pictures or more information might help.
i recon the new toilet position is under a window hence the need for the cistern to be off at the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Cheers oz-plumber, good advice. I've ordered...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the informative post. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half...
Replies
Views
It doesn't matter what plumbing you have...
Replies
Views
Back