Moving cold water tank in loft | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Moving cold water tank in loft in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

C

chriskent

Hi, i currently have a cold water tank in the centre of my loft above the landing walls that i would like to move to the side as its in the way. I understand the concept of having supporting walls to support the heavy load of the tank but need on advice on an idea i have. The tank currently sits on 20mm plywood which then sits on 2 x thick wooden beams, these 2 beams then sit on top of 2 x hanging beams. This is obviously the best place in terms of support, not so much for accessibility. My question is this, is it ok to put the water tank on 20mm plywood which sits on the 2 x thick wooden beams which then sits across multiple joists above 1 supporting wall? Will the joists hold the weight of a 50 gallon tank? I have attached some crudely made illustrations to show where i would like to put it.

Existing.jpg
Existing Setup

New.jpg
New Setup

Many thanks, Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies so far guys,

lame, i do agree that the existing setup looks more secure, was just hoping to make some more room :)

steveb, do you mean 2 timbers next to each other, one set on each side?

Helpsy, thanks for this, will make sure that i measure up correctly.

I will also do some measuring of the joists tonight and upload them here for more advise.

Again, thanks so far, Chris.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello. In this recent cold snap my loft has...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Problem then is heat loss & condensation in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you, I’ll do just that. Much appreciated
Replies
Views
  • Question
Main thing is that the tank shouldn't leak :)
Replies
Views
Back