Multifuel stove with back boiler problems | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Multifuel stove with back boiler problems in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please.

I have just recently moved into a cottage with an old back boiler system and an Esse muti fuel stove, and I seem to be getting nothing but problems with it.

The main thing is getting the radiators to come on and stay on. Most of the time I can have a blazing fire on and the radiators will come on for 5 mins or so then go back off again. They will then take another 45 minutes or so before coming back on, staying on again for 5 mins, then going off again. This is without putting more coal on the fire. It takes longer between coming on if it is cold outside, or if I have been away for a day.

The other thing is, most of the radiators will only get hot at the top and not at the bottom. They aren't exactly cold at the bottom, just slightly warm. I have bled all the rads and there was no air.

The hot water from the taps is always very hot, even if the fire has been off for a day or two.

Cheers

The pump might be operated through a pipe stat. It certainly should be.
That might explain why it is turning on and off. A pipe stat would have to be set precisely to avoid the water boiling before pump turns on. Also don’t want pump running when fire not heating much.
Or your pump is faulty, but unlikely

The pump might be operated through a pipe stat. It certainly should be.
That might explain why it is turning on and off. A pipe stat would have to be set precisely to avoid the water boiling before pump turns on. Also don’t want pump running when fire not heating much.
Or your pump is faulty, but unlikely

Thanks.

There is a stat. I can only see one.

On a box behind it, someone has written 45 on it. It looks like a plug socket, without the socket.

Should there be 2. 1 flow, 1 return?

I should add that if a pipe stat exists it should be on return pipe just leaving hot water cylinder.
If fitted in wrong place it could cause pump to be switched on too soon or too late and also cause short or long on/off periods.

Thanks.

There is a stat. I can only see one.

On a box behind it, someone has written 45 on it. It looks like a plug socket, without the socket.

Should there be 2. 1 flow, 1 return?

Should be just one stat.
The “45” maybe is the setting temperature for the stat that someone has decided is correct for that stat on your system

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
Are you using just the multi fuel or the oil...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
Back