Multimeter/fault finding tips | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Multimeter/fault finding tips in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
ok well I did do basic electrics in college, I know how to check for safe isolation etc, I forget the stuff about resistance etc and I'm just wondering if anyone has some tips they could give on using a multi-meter for fault finding ? Is it essentially putting one probe on say the fan live connection and the other on the pcb and checking if there is any resistance in the cable ? and this may tell you if its knackered or not ? correct me if I'm wrong was pretty much a shot in the dark but would like to know some tips

have you tried the manufacturer courses a few offer these kind of courses for free. vokera for example

ok well I did do basic electrics in college, I know how to check for safe isolation etc, I forget the stuff about resistance etc and I'm just wondering if anyone has some tips they could give on using a multi-meter for fault finding ? Is it essentially putting one probe on say the fan live connection and the other on the pcb and checking if there is any resistance in the cable ? and this may tell you if its knackered or not ? correct me if I'm wrong was pretty much a shot in the dark but would like to know some tips

eh, you would not be checking for resistance on a cable,you would be checking for continuity in regards to a fan its simple 240v on the fan terminals,fan not turning its brown bread need a new one

was just kind of using the fan as an example i realise now it was a stupid one :p I'm doing the vaillant course next month that's for free, not quite sure what's involved though would they teach you this stuff at the course ?

Last edited:
was just kind of using the fan as an example i realise now it was a stupid one :p I'm doing the vaillant course next month that's for free, not quite sure what's involved though would they teach you this stuff at the course ?

doubt it more than likely they will talk trough there product and assume you know the basics

I'm going to book baxi but heard Vaillants are good and its free,they say its hands on practical day course

I found the mr combi 1 day course was good. It covered basic fault finding on fans pumps thermistors, gas valves etc.
But I don't have much fault finding experience, I guess a lot of people would probably find it too basic.

The higher the resistance reading, the more likely the parts broken. This is a dead test everthing turned off/isolated.

yeah its ohms right ? but what would the probs be touching

Break down on part tested. For example: a burnt out electric motor would have a high reading or open circuit. One which is satisfactory will have a low reading closed circuit.

aw ok think I'll ask my sparky for some tips I'm sure he'd know maybe get some hands on experience

i,ve seen mr combi fault finding guide,dvd,its a good basic fault finding bit of info

check continuity and polarity with the buzzer when wires are dead. use voltage for fault finding, if each section of wiring live then one isnt, theres your fault

i did the mr combi course last year. really helped me. i bought his DVD aswell but i dont think its as good as actually doing the course. i have repaired around 100 boilers since then and i have not mis diagnosed one of them. (although i admit some of them have taken a second visit to find the fault) Before i did the course i used to call up the technical helplines and just do what they told me to do but never understood why. now i do and i havent had to use the tech lines for a while.

multimeters are actually pretty simple to use for fault finding only ever really need to test resistance (Ohms), continuity, and volts AC & DC

i got one and reading the instructions seems quite simple, when I replace my boiler going to practice on it and also going on vokeras fault finding course next month

i got one and reading the instructions seems quite simple, when I replace my boiler going to practice on it and also going on vokeras fault finding course next month

Yep i did that one aswell, infact that was a really informative course, alot learned in one day and the things they teach you can be applied to all boilers not just the vokeras.

yeh I know, got vaillant one next week its more of a sales thing for the Eco boilers but he said that the guy will strip it down and do some fault finding on them also

it would be good if someone put a post on of all the symbols on a basic multi meter and what they meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Should of got a gas safe engy in to do the repair
Replies
Views
Hello All- (Usual caveats apply: I am the...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the help, went...
Replies
Views
D
I would personally also get heating engineer...
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
Update: I couldn't get hold of a heating...
Replies
Views
Back