My toilet keeps 'running' <sigh> any ideas? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss My toilet keeps 'running' <sigh> any ideas? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stratus

Hi everyone,

I know this has been asked before, but none of the solutions seemed to fit my problem.

My toilet keeps running.. that is.. once I flush, the cistern empties into the pan, then once the cistern is full again, it keeps filling (slowly) and the water runs into the over-flow thing. (it is a push-button toilet)

mytoilet.jpgThe blue round thing in the middle has often got "stuck" up in the past and not allowed the water to fill the cistern, but instead continuously flowing into the pan - this is not the problem now.

The problem now is that the blue round thing in the middle is down all the way, but the water keeps coming and flowing into the overflow thing - the round white item tube to the right.

Right says me, maybe the overflow thingie is too low, so I edged it up higher - no luck, the water then just came in more until, once again, it hit the overflow.

Now there's some kind of blue thing on the right which has a plastic adjustment screw on it, when I turn it the blue thing goes up and down. This seems to have no effect whatsoever on the running toilet or the water levels or whatnot.

Does anybody have any idea what's happening?? Do I need to buy a new something? maybe a seal? Is this something I might be able to do myself without flooding 1/2 of London?

Thanks Kindly for any assistance anybody can provide.

:)

The float valve is not shutting off!
This could have some debris inside it, or worst case you will need a new bottom entry float valve
Try dismantling the valve and checking the washer is clear from debris...

Thank you .. I will check that.. it wouldn't be a problem really, since it's a very minor flow, except that I have an open attic cistern, and the sound of water constantly filling that, to replace the water draining into the toilet(which is surprisingly quiet), is so annoying - it's like having a water feature running 24/7, but not as soothing. - I'll need to jury-rig something to stop that noise one of these days - maybe a plastic slide. - but.. toilet first.

If you have an isolation valve on the pipe feeding the wc cistern, shut it off untill the replacement float valve is fitted, will save water & keep you from chinese torture!

oo I never thought of entering it in a race - the olympics are next year.. hmmm..

If it's not just clogged, I may just consider replacing it with a better one - I'll try checking the clog-factor tomorrow - I have no plumbing ability AT ALL, but maybe all the parts are just snap in and screw in? let's hope -

Is this the fluid-master pro everyone is talking about? http://www.*************/prods/21704/Plumbing/Toilet-Fittings/Fluidmaster-Pro-Side-Entry-Fill-Valve?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Plumbing-_-Fluidmaster%20Pro%20Side%20Entry%20Fill%20Valve (ooops that link didn't work.. the stars are where it would say -screwfix . com)

doesn't look like it has all the same stuff as my current system.

or is this just to replace the blue thing on the right side that I have?

Turning off the shut off valve now - chinese torture ending soon!

Stratus

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks like Screwfix only has the straight Fluidmaster, bottom entry valve .. not the pro version. But it looks promising - all the reviews say "very easy to install" - I like that!

mytoilet.jpgJust to clarify, this is to replace the thing in my photo that's on the right side right? .. the blue thing with the adjustable screw on the top which doesn't do anything when I turn it.. right?

thanks for all the helpful suggestions :)

yes its the part on the rh side you can get the bottom entry from screw fix,just not showing on there site failing that go to your local pts

Thanks so much for your helpful advice! I'm going to go all DIY crazy tomorrow (or saturday) - and report back! cheers!

a tip there will be a bit of water left in the cistern when you drain it to replace the valve turn the part in the middle this will remove most of the water use a sponge to soak up the rest,get a new fiber washer for the swivel as well(the bit that screws on to the ball valve)

it should be guaranteed for at least a year.

Maybe the plastic working parts, never in a million years can you expect a years guarantee on a washer! I'd hate to be the one complaining about that in the merchants on a busy morning..you'd get laughed out!

The toilet was put in when the flat was renovated just before I moved in about 2 years ago - i'm not convinced it was brand new. I haven't sorted the problem out yet either - I turned the water off last night.. and when I turned it back on this morning - the problem stopped.. though it's started again since the last flush..

now I think it's just playing with my emotions :) I'm not sure where to go to get a fibre washer.. but hopefully some of the local diy shops will know :)

you need a half inch one. any diy place will be able to help you.

You will be best off to isolate the water to the cistern, strip out the valve as has been mentioned, take the valve with you to a local plumbers merchant & not a diy shop, Plumb-centre, PTS, Travis etc, they will match the valve or give you the best other option & also ask for a fibre washer while your there...they deal with these things every day & will be able to sort you out no problems.

well.. I got my fluidmaster pro and my fiber washer from the local plumbers merchants - figured out how to turn off the intake to the toilet - (no tap, had to turn the screw!) - now I'm just finishing my lunch before launching into my first diy plumbing experience! cross your fingers for me!

Well.. it's done.. and it seems to work a treat so far!! Thank you so much for all the very helpful hints!

I got the fiber washer in - funny there wasn't one in the old valve model, used a sponge to get the extra water out, as suggested.. couldn't have done it without you all!

Also.. I noticed that in the old valve there was a "valve flow regulator" fitted into the shank of the intake valve.. this explains so much.. it's always taken ages for my tank to fill - I am NOT in an area of high water pressure - or if I am - it's irrelevant because the toilet fills from the attic cistern - which is decidedly very low pressure.

I chose not to put the valve flow regulator into this new one.. and the toilet fills blissfully quickly by comparison!

The only thing I need to keep an eye on is the seal on my connections - which I had a hard time getting to not leak - and I'm not sure I've completely succeeded - I may need to tighten them further, but I'm afraid of over tightening .

Anyway.. THANK YOU ALL :)

well done stratus no one will stop you now toilet today who knows whats next, it should give you a bit of conffidence to tackle other tasks if you need well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
best bet buy a new filler they are not dear.
Replies
Views
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Plumber replaced the washer in the valve and...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
Back