need advice on plumbing training | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss need advice on plumbing training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mackkss

I am quite close to completing my level 2 nvq in plumbing and heating would like some advice if possible with the level 3 and gas course i have been looking through the internet and im unsure on what course to pick whether to go straight to my gas? is the level 3 plumbing that beneficial?
would appreciate advice thanks.

The college tutors say level 3 is for people who plan on setting up their own company, plan to go into further education or go and work for a company that requires it eg British gas.

The college tutors say level 3 is for people who plan on setting up their own company, plan to go into further education or go and work for a company that requires it eg British gas.
I take it your tutors don't teach level 3 then ? cos he don't know what he is talking about it just covers the basics to be a plumber & heating engineer (not a level 2 domestic installer) you know things like heating systems including the standard layouts S,Y, what is required, how to wire em, so you can fault find em, underfloor heating & other heat emitters, rad & pump sizing, boiler type & how they work, unvented hot water systems, water regulation, sanitation system & guttering including design & requirement to meet the Building Reg's, electrical work & testing so you can work safely on electrical appliances. Shall I go on ? Anyone who thinks plumbing & heating starts & finishes at L2 really does not understand the industry nor the skill set required from a modern engineer.

on my level 2 course they took out the electrics and lead work modules, as im doing all my courses in evenings i just wanted to find out feedback about them especially the level 3 as its my next step

on my level 2 course they took out the electrics and lead work modules, as im doing all my courses in evenings i just wanted to find out feedback about them especially the level 3 as its my next step
Best bet is to have a proper talk with your college as to what your options are & what the pro & cons maybe, they are best placed to advise you as they know the course you are on & what ones they will be running at L3.

Level 3 is well worth it. You'll learn about heating layouts, wiring, gas, water regs and unvented, and have the relevant quals to be able to work on them. I think they also do solar thermal and heat source these days.

Was reading this thread because I am in a similar boat. I almost have my level 2 nvq and was wondering wether to go straigt to gas or learn level 3. My instinct told me level 3 and was confirmed with your advice. Cheers.

If you want to progess in this industry Level 3 is a must if you can get it. My son completed his Level 2 through a well known leve' grant scheme which his company are registered. Unfortunately This company sacked him as soon as he got the level 2 qualification because they did not want another Plumber and would have to start paying him better money. So the company get their £9,000 grand for the pass and theyhave taken on another 16year old on the scheme to exploit them for 2 years paying the minimum, getting them to do 2 days labouring 2 days plumbing 1 day college. So son now self employed contractor, going to do all the gas, unvented on short courses, because without another work placement he can't do Level 3 through his college. Looked at Other companies who do level 3, but it costs at least £6 grand plus the time.

The way I see it level 2 is basic boys work, level 3 is a must if you want to be a proper man :) Im still a boy though :(

Wish they took the lead out of my course! Its one thing I really cant seem to get! Tutor said that they are considering removing it from the qual, so that we should do the practicals for it ASAP! Cheers Sir Not! haha!

Wish they took the lead out of my course! Its one thing I really cant seem to get! Tutor said that they are considering removing it from the qual, so that we should do the practicals for it ASAP! Cheers Sir Not! haha!
Its gone mate !! you are on the old 6129 both new qual's (6189 & 6035) have no lead, un-less you choose as an option.

Its gone mate !! you are on the old 6129 both new qual's (6189 & 6035) have no lead, un-less you choose as an option.
Really? What a croc! That they are still making us do it! Its one thing that makes me hate going into college! I can never get the torch right and it always looks untidy!

Really? What a croc! That they are still making us do it! Its one thing that makes me hate going into college! I can never get the torch right and it always looks untidy!
It is still a good skill to master & like riding a bike you never forget once you have got it. You are right it is all in the flame, practice hard. If you hate going to college then plumbing might not be for you ? You have to love it to be any good.

I really do love it! But like every part of education, there's one subject or a part of the subject you don't like!

Wish they took the lead out of my course! Its one thing I really cant seem to get!

Some tips to help:

Buy some nozzle cleaners and clean nozzle which should be about size 3.
Make sure gasses are correct pressure and balanced. If you are continualy having problems setting gas pressures, then ask college technician to check or change the regulator diaphragms.
When setting up the flame, allow about 50mm acetylene flame and introduce oxygen slowly until flame is neutral and bright (slightly rounded on inner blue tip).
Make sure work is clean and flat
Introduce flame and hold torch close to surfact of lead (if the torch is too far way, you pick up oxygen in atmosphere and produce an oxydising flame) - too close and you get moulten lead in your face, but it must be close.
Make sure angle of torch is 30-45 degrees which is at same angle as filler rod.

I accept that lead work is now irrelevant to most occupational areas of plumbing, but the training will give you good experience in using flamable gasses and developing the skills that are probably the most transferable in plumbing - if you can do it in a workshop you can most likely do it at work in the case of lead installation and fabrication - which cannot be said about systems and other types of plumbing work.

Some tips to help:

Buy some nozzle cleaners and clean nozzle which should be about size 3.
Make sure gasses are correct pressure and balanced. If you are continualy having problems setting gas pressures, then ask college technician to check or change the regulator diaphragms.
When setting up the flame, allow about 50mm acetylene flame and introduce oxygen slowly until flame is neutral and bright (slightly rounded on inner blue tip).
Make sure work is clean and flat
Introduce flame and hold torch close to surfact of lead (if the torch is too far way, you pick up oxygen in atmosphere and produce an oxydising flame) - too close and you get moulten lead in your face, but it must be close.
Make sure angle of torch is 30-45 degrees which is at same angle as filler rod.

I accept that lead work is now irrelevant to most occupational areas of plumbing, but the training will give you good experience in using flamable gasses and developing the skills that are probably the most transferable in plumbing - if you can do it in a workshop you can most likely do it at work in the case of lead installation and fabrication - which cannot be said about systems and other types of plumbing work.
Thanks for that! I will keep it in mind! Back in workshop on Thursday!

If Plumber is the Latin for Lead worker, How can these college's and NVQ schemes call it a qualification in Plumbing if there is no lead work in the qualification?:confused:

If Plumber is the Latin for Lead worker, How can these college's and NVQ schemes call it a qualification in Plumbing if there is no lead work in the qualification?:confused:

Your comments are shared by the slight majority (52%) of plumbing teachers, but according to summitskills the lead body for the plumbing and bulding services engineering sector, plumbing 'employers' do not value these skills enough for them to be mandatory within the plumbing qualification.

Given the sheer numbers of people undertaking plumbing qualifications (estimate 50,000 a year), lead-work has been an environmental disaster in terms of sustainability, if we consider that only 1 in 10 will find employment, and probably only 1 in 100 will do lead work when in employment. Therefore, skills training needs to have some relevance which is a regulatory requirement of the NVQ.

Cos we have move on some what, in the last 2,500 years of the industry.

My point is you don't call a goldsmith a carpenter:clap: tongue in cheek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
Be really careful with online companies...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
You need to ask the college where you are...
Replies
Views
Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
Back