Need help - picking shower for customer | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Need help - picking shower for customer in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi everyone!

Right, I'm putting together a large luxury en-suite design to build for a customer. It's converting a 1st floor bedroom into a large en-suite There's a few nice features going in (wetroom tray, single glass pane, etc.) and have suggested putting in a digital shower for the wow factor. At the moment I'm really leaning towards the Mira Platinum Dual Ceiling fed pumped. I was reading the installation requirements and I've one issue that I want to run by you all.

Existing system is this:
Cold water cistern in attic above 1st floor (not sure of capacity right now and aware it needs 230ltrs)
Hot water cylinder is at ground floor level some distance away (will be putting in new cylinder to increase capacity)

Plan is to install the Mira Digital mixer valve in the attic above shower area (about a metre from the CW Storage Tank too).
Take a dedicated cold feed from CW tank.
Take a dedicated feed from the HW cylinder downstairs. New Cylinder to be fitted will have separate tapping for the shower.

So, I've been through all the requirements in the Mira Installation Guide and all are met apart from this on page 20:

- Long inlet pipework (dead legs) should be kept to a minimum to avoid temperature fluctuations.

not sure what dead legs means and how long is too long. Everything else is fine. Hot and cold pipework from valve to shower head(s) is short, Cold inlet from tank to valve would be around a metre in length. It's just the hot inlet. rough calculation it will be around 15m front cylinder to valve. I obviously plan to do as neat an install as possible of the hot inlet but still...

If this cant really work what about getting the high pressure version and fitting a twin impeller pump (3bar) at the base of the cylinder feeding the digital valve in the attic?? As i write that though I'm not even sure how that addressing the long run of pipework to valve, other than having good even pressure in the attic at the valve. But cant seem to find out if you can fit a shower pump to these digital valves.

A slightly less desirable option:
To fit a shower pump at the base of the cylinder (ground floor) feeding built-in thermostatic valve (1st floor). I know this will work lovely but the digital shower has the wow factor that the customer is loving at the mo. Also, a lot more awkward pipework installation but a great shower non the less.

Your expert thoughts/opinions please!

Thanks
Adam

With regards to your question in bold I would ring Mira and ask them direct if you cant find an answer on line.

Also ask them what they suggest as the best option for your needs.

Upvote 0
are you a plumber, seems odd you dont know what a dead leg is?

googled for you, https://www.wras.co.uk/consumers/resources/interpretations_and_advice/installation/i21/

Sorry I meant I just wasn't sure what it meant in the context of the long pipework. To rephrase the question: does it mean long pipework full stop or long pipework due to x amount of dead legs??? There will of course be none as its a new feed to the shower valve from the HW cylinder. But the distance from HW Cylinder to shower valve is around 15m. Is that too long?? Is what I'm asking

Upvote 0
It's not that no one seems to know, it's just obvious to us that Mira, who have to warranty the product, must have the last say on your question. If they turn up to fix a warranty issue and are unhappy with the install they will void the warranty. My advice is get an answer from Mira and get it in writing. They are known to wriggle out of claims, unlike the other market leader in digital shower technology.
If you've installed wet rooms before then I am sure you will know all the facts regarding installation. Just make sure your public
liability insurance covers you for the job as many don't as wet rooms carry such a high risk so are removed from general cover.

Upvote 0
I hadn't thought of checking with my insurance about cover. Didn't think it might not be included so thanks for heads up there.
ive only done one other wet room. Lots of standard bathrooms but this will be my second wet room.
i also didn't mean to sound passive aggressive on the no one seems to know remark, I was referring to all the views and no reply. That's all.

i will contact Mira today.

i looked at the other market leader digital shower and just thought the controller for the Mira looked much better. But maybe I look at the Aqualisa again

Thanks again for the help

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the reply Simon!
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would advise stickng to the manufacturers...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
More likely get a drop in performance.
Replies
Views
  • Question
This is a follow up posting. Now have the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi SI......is the shower on the same floor as...
Replies
Views
Back