Need help with topping up pressure | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Need help with topping up pressure in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,
I have a pressurized hot water and heating system and need to top up the pressure to 1.5 bar since its around 1 at present. Its been ages since i did this so can't remember exactly I what i did previously but I believe i need to turn the valve under the blue vessel anti-clockwise a quarter and then do the same with valve under the red vessel to increase the pressure. Then once finished, turn valves in reverse directions.

Problem is the valve under blue vessel doesn't seem to move at all, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or whether its stuck. Valve under red vessel is able to move a quarter anti-clockwise but it does nothing.

Any suggestions? Would really like to avoid having to call a plumber in, considering their call out charge is £80 alone!!

Some pics:
(3rd photo is valve underneath red vessel behind gauge)

Last edited:
1 bar is correct pressure

And yes you are looking at the correct valves they will only turn one way

Thanks. But i was told by the developer (Barratt homes) to keep the pressure at 1.5 bar?

But in any case, for my knowledge how do I increase the pressure? The blue vessel valve doesn't turn in any direction at all...

1 bar is enough

It will turn I think the lever will turn up it will be stiff

What is the setup on the assembly in the bottom of the (red) expansion vessel with the two copper pipes + the braided hose?.

Looking at it again it looks like the left hand pipe maintains the system pressure and the right hand pipe is a drain, the expansion vessel can then be isolated from the system and drained down to check pre charge pressure etc without draining down the whole system depending on the position of the red valve.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

Depends on what type of fitting is under the...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
...cos it's a perfectly serviceable boiler...
Replies
Views
Heating will run until hot gets up to...
Replies
Views
Any update?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 123817
D
Back