Need new boiler - advice would be gratefully received... | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Need new boiler - advice would be gratefully received... in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Emma72

Hi,

it looks like my boiler has packed up and needs to be replaced, so I'm about to contact as many central heating engineers as I can and get quotes. But before I do that, I thought I'd post here with a few questions. I would be incredibly grateful if
anybody can help!

Is there such a such as a brand of boiler being more reliable than others? If not a brand, how about a model?
How long can boilers be expected to last?

It is my understanding that a new boiler has to be registered with gas safe (am I right?), and that this means certain
things have to be done for that to be the case (or something like that - I vaguely remember reading something about flushing the system, there may be other steps). Is there anyway I can check, before I even hire an gas engineer, that their work will be to that standard? Or stuff that definitely needs to be on the quote? I ask because a friend of mine has been in a situation where she had a new boiler installed shortly before selling a property, and it turned out during the selling process that the engineer who did the job was a bit of a cowboy (despite having a lot of good feedback on checkatrade), so I'm a bit worried. Does anybody has any pointers to avoid me being in the same situation?

Are there any questions I can/should ask before committing myself to one tradesperson? Stuff that needs to be on the quote/ stuff I need to make sure is done? I will of course make sure they are Gas safe registered, but are there any other registrations that I need to double check, or any certificate or whatever that I need to look for (recognized qualifications?)?

Is it accepted practise for them to charge for an estimate?

Is there anything else I should know/make sure I ask about?

Thanks in advance to anybody who'll be kind enough to answer.

:welcome: Emma,

is your current boiler beyond repair, how old and what kind of boiler is it?
how old is the pipework?
Yes the fitting of a new boiler should be registered through Gas Safe, who then inform the local council.

:welcome: to the forum Emma72! Crikey you don't ask for much do you? lol

How old is your existing heating boiler/system? There's a limit to best advice to be honest but it sounds like you're worried about being ripped off? Best advice is get a quote from the likes of B-Gas coz they'll dot the 'I's and cross the 'T's ... then find someone with a more sensible price who does the same :)

If you're keeping the old system make sure it is flushed thoroughly!! :)

Hi & thanks for the welcome,

yeah, I know, quite a few questions! :)

OK, answers....

Current boiler is a Potterton Combi 80, over 10 years old, may well be about 15 years old, or older; I've lived in my flat for over 10 years, and it was there when I moved in, not sure when it was installed. Pipework is probably about the same period

Is it beyond repair? OK, warning, long answer.... It failed Monday night (as in: no heating, no hot water), I got somebody in, he couldn't see any obvious problems so he said it must be the circuit board, so he replaced the circuit board, that didn't solve the problem, so he said, oh that circuit board must be faulty, it happens all the time, I'll go and exchange it, so he came back and fitted the second circuit board, and that didn't work either, and apparently it's the boiler that damages the circuit board so he can't bring it back again; and he doesn't know what else it could be; it could be the ?spark valve? (can't remember the part name), or any of the wires, but none of the tests he did showed anything obviously wrong anywhere, so I've now paid a couple of hundred quids...and I still have a broken boiler with no idea as to what's wrong with it, except that I know that the circuit board is broken, and I know something else isn't working, but I don't know what - and it could be more than one thing). I don't really fancy going through the same process again, and I figure it's probably going to be more efficient in the long run to get a new boiler, but I'm open to any sort of feedback on that, to be honest. One thing is, I don't have a job right now, so I have to be very careful where my money goes. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay whatever it takes (I have some savings), but I want to try and make sure that what I get was worth the money I spent on it, and that I won't have to pay more down the road because the work was substandard or whatever.

If that makes sense?

He sounds useless with all due respect. Sounds like he's just chucking parts in and guessing. Where abouts are you? There may be someone on the forum who could help.

As mentioned above there may be someone here who can help. Post a message in the plumber/heating eng wanted section.

Things to bear in mind when the boiler is swapped are the extra bits and pieces that are required under Part L of the building regs. There may also be a need to upgrade the gas supply, a lot of older installs were undergassed. Also think about having some sort of system filter fitted to protect the new boiler. The waterways on modern boilers are a lot more restrictive than older ones and more prone to blocking from muck in an old system.

If your neighbours or friends have had any work done ask them what they thought of their installer. People will often complain about a poor job but neglect to say when someone has done their job properly.

Your right in that a newer boiler will be more efficient and should be more reliable, giving you less problems. It will save you money in the long run.

Its good that your thinking about the quality of the work that you want doing instead of just the price. Many people just go for the lowest quote and then regret it later on.

How do you intend to get a gas fitter? I wouldn't recommend using sites like 'checkatrade' for a tradesman because I think most of the better tradespeople don't use this.

Usually you wouldn't be expected to pay for a quotation, so you can get a few different gas fitters to have a look and quote.

Whereabouts are you? Perhaps someone on this forum can assist personally.

avoid British Gas , get a local Gas fitter to submit quote if any family member do know a trusted Gas fitter do give him a call ! If you go to them rated websites will not be trusted really as mention above by "anz" .

We have a trusted members here from all over UK ,

Hi & thanks for the welcome,

yeah, I know, quite a few questions! :)

OK, answers....
boiler is a Potterton Combi 80, over 10 years old, may well be about 15 years old, or older; I've lived in my flat for over 10 years, and it was there when I moved in, not sure when it was installed. Pipework is probably about the same period

Is it beyond repair? OK, warning, long answer.... It failed Monday night (as in: no heating, no hot water), I got somebody in, he couldn't see any obvious problems so he said it must be the circuit board, so he replaced the circuit board, that didn't solve the problem, so he said, oh that circuit board must be faulty, it happens all the time, I'll go and exchange it, so he came back and fitted the second circuit board, and that didn't work either, and apparently it's the boiler that damages the circuit board so he can't bring it back again; and he doesn't know what else it could be; it could be the ?spark valve? (can't remember the part name), or any of the wires, but none of the tests he did showed anything obviously wrong anywhere, so I've now paid a couple of hundred quids...and I still have a broken boiler with no idea as to what's wrong with it, except that I know that the circuit board is broken, and I know something else isn't working, but I don't know what - and it could be more than one thing). I don't really fancy going through the same process again, and I figure it's probably going to be more efficient in the long run to get a new boiler, but I'm open to any sort of feedback on that, to be honest. One thing is, I don't have a job right now, so I have to be very careful where my money goes. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay whatever it takes (I have some savings), but I want to try and make sure that what I get was worth the money I spent on it, and that I won't have to pay more down the road because the work was substandard or whatever.

If that makes sense?
good god you have been ripped off sadly,this numpty had no idea what he was doing in regards to faulting your boiler,your combi was not a great one but its been in a while
*combis last between 10 -14 years and can fail a few times in between regardless of make*
* don't buy a heatline,glowworm,ideal or ferroli brand you will seriously regret it ,worth noting valiant own glowworm and heatline*
*dont buy a BAXI duotec 2 or netatec*however a baxi duotec one,or potterton gold are excellent boilers*
*the system must be flushed and if funds allow a magnetic filter fitted also inhibitor in the system*
*find a good independent installer who comes recommended *
*consider having a roomstat or programmable room stat if you dont currently have one fitted this will save money on your gas bill*
and yes you will receive a gas certificate and building control certificate via gas safe

I got somebody in, he couldn't see any obvious problems so he said it must be the circuit board, so he replaced the circuit board, that didn't solve the problem, so he said, oh that circuit board must be faulty, it happens all the time, I'll go and exchange it, so he came back and fitted the second circuit board, and that didn't work either, and apparently it's the boiler that damages the circuit board so he can't bring it back again; and he doesn't know what else it could be; it could be the ?spark valve? (can't remember the part name),

well this rings alarm bells for a starters

Well, I'm sure he did do his best. But it's frustrating. I have no way of knowing if somebody else's best might have been just as good, or not as good, or better. That's the problem with wanting to go with quality - how do I know???? I'm gonna get a quote from BG, though, I like that advice; hopefully it'll give me a frame of reference. I heard they're always more expensive.

Nope, don't have any personal recommendations to go with, unfortunately, so if anybody wants to chip in....

I'm in Croydon.

well this rings alarm bells for a starters

Just to clarify, I'm the one who can't remember the part name, no him!

avoid British Gas , get a local Gas fitter to submit quote if any family member do know a trusted Gas fitter do give him a call ! If you go to them rated websites will not be trusted really as mention above by "anz" .
That's interesting, the bit about sites like checkatrade not being trusted...is there a reason for that? I'm sure they're not ideal....but choosing the right tradesman without info/ feedback can feel like such a lottery!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm sure he did do his best. But it's frustrating. I have no way of knowing if somebody else's best might have been just as good, or not as good, or better. That's the problem with wanting to go with quality - how do I know???? I'm gonna get a quote from BG, though, I like that advice; hopefully it'll give me a frame of reference. I heard they're always more expensive.

QUOTE]

I'm ex BG and know how much more expensive they are Emma. They're a good starting point providing you get someone who knows their stuff! However the system you have installed is a good starting point for a relatively straight forward exchange IMO. Gas man gives good advice! I'd always recommend going for a boiler with a good warranty! It's my belief that folk who install and flush correctly will not be affraid of recommending a boiler with 5yrs warranty! It all depends on your budget to be honest.

Thermostatic radiator valves, room thermostat & time clock are a must to adhere to the current building regulations! Anyone who skirts this I'd considder avoiding also IMO ...

Insist on a filter!!! :)

I'm ex BG and know how much more expensive they are Emma. They're a good starting point providing you get someone who knows their stuff! However the system you have installed is a good starting point for a relatively straight forward exchange IMO. Gas man gives good advice! I'd always recommend going for a boiler with a good warranty! It's my belief that folk who install and flush correctly will not be affraid of recommending a boiler with 5yrs warranty! It all depends on your budget to be honest.

Thermostatic radiator valves, room thermostat & time clock are a must to adhere to the current building regulations! Anyone who skirts this I'd considder avoiding also IMO ...

Insist on a filter!!! :)

Thanks, it's all good advice. Just a couple of questions - what's a filter? (Yeah, shows how much I know....) And what's a time clock? The boiler has a sort of timer thing where you can set the times the CH is on, is that what you're talking about? Also, the existing system does have a thermostat in the kitchen, will that need to be replaced as well?

Thank you so much for all the responses by the way. Much appreciated.

Thanks, it's all good advice. Just a couple of questions - what's a filter? (Yeah, shows how much I know....) And what's a time clock? The boiler has a sort of timer thing where you can set the times the CH is on, is that what you're talking about? Also, the existing system does have a thermostat in the kitchen, will that need to be replaced as well?

the timer thing is a timeclock this switches heating on and off
a filter is put on return to boiler which traps particles that could damage boiler and helps keep your system clean,
Who ever you get to do the install, do not pay anything upfront, pay when you are happy with the job
imho

Last edited:

Hi again Emma72 :)

The filter is something that does it's best to collect the stuff that causes boilers grief! TF1, Magnaclean and the likes! Do some 'Googling' :) Main thing is to know you're well protected against the possible causes of boiler breakdown. The timer is as mentioned by dancinplumba .

I will explain it to Emma in person on Saturday morning ! Will bring with me everything so she understand what she could have and what is the benefit from it !

hi all just a update ,did survey property today !
second floor flat , boiler in kitchen with good water flow 20L ,gas is there 3/4 still ,condense is easy internal to kitchen sink, will need to have flue extended as is like 50mm below eaves . Over all should be straight forward job .
Will submit quote on monday and if accepted will give a update !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
Back