Neighours noisy back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Neighours noisy back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ClareMc

Hello, wondering if anyone might be able to help?

We've just moved into a new house - a semi detached - and the adjoining neighours back boiler sits in our chimey breast. It's ancient and is incredibly loud - every time their heating goes on (which is quite often as they are an elderley couple) a very loud banging and rumbling comes through the wall, upstairs and dowstairs. It's driving me around the twist and is starting to become a real problem, especially as it wakes us up at 5:30am.

I've spoken to the neighour who is very nice but simply said it was "nothing to worry about" and that it's noisy just because it's so old. He said once upon a time he did have someone out to look at it (this couple have lived there for a long time) who said he could "blow it out" whatever that means, but he clearly has never done anything about it.
I can't exactly move in and then a few weeks later demand that this nice gentleman forks out for a whole new boiler, but is there anything at all that I could do to help reduce the noise? I dont mind paying for it, I just need to do something as I'm finding it quite upsetting!!

It sounds like it needs some attention from a gas safe registered engineer. They may be putting their lives in danger if they have not had it properly serviced on an annual basis.

Your local council environmental officer will be able to assist if you consider it to be a noise/vibration nuisance. They will come round and assess the noise/vibration from your perspective. If they consider it to be a nuisance then they can require that the neighbour do something about it.

'I can't exactly move in and then a few weeks later demand that this nice gentleman forks out for a whole new boiler, but is there anything at all that I could do to help reduce the noise? I dont mind paying for it, I just need to do something as I'm finding it quite upsetting!!'

why not?

i certainly would as its in your home-noisy neighbours and all that. you have requested it to be approached and you have been refused.
next stop environmental health.

wouldnt worry about upsetting them either as by the sound of it they wont be around too long anyway!.

ps. you could try soundproofing the builders openings and fit an electric fire to the 'shared chimney'.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO this is rather delicate , the last thing you want is to upset elderly new neighbours, I would try talk to them stressing the safety issue here, for them and you, explain that the appliance should be serviced yearly etc etc .
I suppose if you can talk them into servicing it, and somebody does, at least you know its safe.
It may be why the previous owners 'sold up'.

The end of the day if you can here the noise then best to make sure that the chimneys are solid and no gaping holes into yours , just say to your nieghbour that your having problems with your chimney and does he mind if you have someone check the both of them as you dont want to be the cause of any escapes from your side into his, make it sound like its you and it takes the press off the nieghbour until you have someone take a look , thing is i know you dont want to cost the folks money but the price of a boiler is nothing to there safety, and yours

Make sure you have a CO detector fitted, in case there is migration from the neighbours back boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just for completion, and to have this archived...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
N
No blockage in soil pipe? Was he a plumber or...
Replies
Views
@woytaz thanks for the update. It's funny...
Replies
Views
Yes that’s not normal best get an heating...
Replies
Views
Back