New boiler advice for one pipe system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler advice for one pipe system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

james7777777

Hello,

My old Potterton Netaheat boiler has packed in. I have a one pipe central heating system and have been advised I will now need to get the whole house converted to a 2 pipe system in order to fit a new condensing boiler. Having just fitted new wooden floors throughout I would like to avoid this. This is my first piece of reasearch but anyone know what my options are: Can you still buy non-condensing boilers?, can they be fitted?, do condensing boilers defintely not work with one pipe systems?

Any advice much appreciated

James

You can fit a condensing boiler to a one pipe.

Get any boiler you fancy

I'm not entirely sure why you would go to such expense in making your home look beautiful whilst ignoring the mechanical infrastructure.

True, any boiler will do the job but will your old system shorten the life of your new high efficiency boiler.

Thanks - Ive heard they wont work though as one piple systems dont have the required temperature difference between the out and in flow? anyone actually fitted one to a one pipe?

As to the guy who posted about "Ignoring the mechanical infrastructure of the house" You obviously dont have the experience to realise that you cant know you have a one pipe system until you lift the floor boards up and investigate and you dont do this on a 35 year old house unless you have a plumbing problem!

The advice about putting pipes externally and boxing them is not an option for me - or most people i would imagine.

i have 'seen' it done, seems to work ok tho think it doesn't comply with build regs :)

service pipe work is your only option , other ways rip out hard wood floor or keep it 1 pipe system I am afraid .

James the best option can be given by the engineer who survey your property ,

but your option I have a listed above

stan

That will impede the efficency of the appliance. But if you fit a non condensing then you won't have the efficency.

So your contradicting yourself.

If you really don't want to upset your system. I would reccomened getting a open vent boiler too. May be a massive shock to convert to a sealed system

Yes will def be open vented. I am not looking at a combi, doubt the old pipe work would not take the pressure plus we have 3 bathrooms on the house

You obviously dont have the experience to realise that you cant know you have a one pipe system until you lift the floor boards up and investigate and you dont do this on a 35 year old house unless you have a plumbing problem!

Ah but i have the experience to know as i pull up at your door that you have a 1 pipe system (bet you have a Wimpey type house) as most systems fitted in the 70's by builders were 1 pipe :smile:

Condensing boilers will work ok on 1 pipe systems. Keep the pump at it's lowest setting and fit the correct TRV's.

spot on there tam, you know when you draw up at the door, served my time with wimpey, it was all 1 pipe systems, done in stainless steel pipe.

fitted a vokera boiler to a one pipe system did not work keeped locking out, M/I states it caan not be used on a one pipe, so becarfull

service pipe work is your only option , other ways rip out hard wood floor or keep it 1 pipe system I am afraid .

James the best option can be given by the engineer who survey your property ,

but your option I have a listed above

stan
think you mean surface pipework there stan

fitted a vokera boiler to a one pipe system did not work keeped locking out, M/I states it caan not be used on a one pipe, so becarfull

same thought. recently spoke to glowworm about options for a one pipe system, they said not covered with any of there range to fit to a one pipe set-up.
likely to be the same with other manufacturers.

If it was locking out it was nothing to do with being fitted to a 1 pipe system.
I've never seen reference in any MI's regards fitting a boiler to a one pipe. If you think about it it is no different to fitting it to a low loss header. It is just a loop of pipe.

Seems like someone is trying to rip you off you can fit any boiler to the system.? like one of the guys on here said

took out an old faulty potterton neataheat as can no longer get spare part for it and fitted a new potterton gold system boiler to an old single pipe system. altered bathroom pipewoork so it was on primary flow and return (bypass) so they could have it on in the summer when the heating was off. also fitted TRV's and flushed with X800. All works fine now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In a one-pipe heating system with a condensing...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
G
Just seal it with some exterior grade, brick...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Back