new boiler advice needed | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new boiler advice needed in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

murp

hi

we want to replace a 16 year old potterton prima 50b boiler with a more efficient condensing boiler that will heat the house up quicker... dont want a combi boiler.... live in grays essex .... would it be advisable to wait untill the boiler scrappage scheme comes into operation....

thanks all

you would have to find out if boiler is g rated,only these boilers are eligible for grant.
go for vailliant,worcester,or veissem

dont forget the best. broagg remeha, for a system boiler use the quinta 45. wipes the floor with above mentioned imho

you would have to find out if boiler is g rated,only these boilers are eligible for grant.
go for vailliant,worcester,or veissem
+1 I agree with wozo.

dont forget the best. broagg remeha, for a system boiler use the quinta 45. wipes the floor with above mentioned imho
I really want to fit one of these, and or an Atag, but havent come across a customer whos willing to pay the extra premium.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info.... the potterton 50b is G rated in the sedbuk database.. is there anyone on here, local to me in grays essex who would give me a quote on a boiler change.

cheers

It is true that these are superlative boilers but the Quinta 45 is 45kw not 45000 btu.

OP Broag do a good range of system and heat only boilers which would meet your needs. 50,000 btu is 14.6kw. You can do a whole house sizing excercise but with these boilers your best bet is to pick one greater than 14.6 kw and buy the weather compensation. All this does in layman's terms is alter the flow and return temps according to climactic conditions. You need to be aware that in Spring and Autumn it will seem that the radiators don't get as hot as you are used to. Don't ring the installer, it is the weather compensation doing it's job properly.

The great benefit of these boilers is uniformity large of parts across the range, excellent design in respect of making them easy for us to repair.

potterton 50b is G rated in the sedbuk database..

Are you shure? I wouldn't expect it to be G rated.

potterton prima 50b boiler
This boiler is not listed in the Sedbuk Database. There are other Potterton/Myson boilers with the 50b name, so they may be the same under different badges. They do qualify for the scrappage scheme.

As there is only enough money for 125,000 boilers to be covered by the scheme, you will have to make sure you are at the head of the queue if you want any chance. The current information says that it has to be a working boiler - a bit like the car scheme.

I have just looked on another list and the Prima 50B does qualify.

birdflue ? paul ?
type in your google "quinta 45" click first link, you will be shown the model i quoted a system boiler adjustable from 9 kw to 45 kw.
i think thats a perfect boiler for his situation imvho

Prima 50 has output of approx 14.5kw, why would you replace it with 45kw boiler designed for commercial applications !!!

thanks for the info.... the potterton 50b is G rated in the sedbuk database.. is there anyone on here, local to me in grays essex who would give me a quote on a boiler change.

cheers
im in east london and could give you a quote if you want to private me a number

Prima 50 has output of approx 14.5kw, why would you replace it with 45kw boiler designed for commercial applications !!!
Just because the current boiler is 14.5kW, that does not mean that the new boiler should be 14kW. Changes may have been made to the house since the boiler was installed - extended, double glazing, loft and cavity insulation.

The first thing to do is size the boiler using the [DLMURL="http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Building-Professionals/Helpful-Tools/Whole-house-boiler-sizing-wizard"]EST online boiler calculator[/DLMURL].

I agree that a 45kW boiler in place of a 14.5kW is overkill, even if the boiler can modulate down to 14.5kW. The problem is that it can only modulate down to 9kW. Assuming you need 14.5kW when the outside temperature is -1°C, 9kW is equivalent to an outside temperature of 8°C. If it is warmer than that, the boiler will no longer modulate but run in on/off mode, which is less efficient. The Remeha Avanta boiler modulates down to 6kW, which is equivalent to an outside temperature of 12°C.

The other thing to remember is that radiators running with the flow and return temperatures different from the standard 75/65°C will give off less heat. 75/55°C is about 15% less; 70/50°C is about 30% less. If the rads were correctly sized when they were installed they may now be undersized. The Stelrad Elite Catalogue can be used to work out the output of your current rads.

birdflue ? paul ?
type in your google "quinta 45" click first link, you will be shown the model i quoted a system boiler adjustable from 9 kw to 45 kw.
i think thats a perfect boiler for his situation imvho

They'd be better off financially going for a domestic boiler from the Avanta range.

Though the commercial range is excellent it is much more money. The Avanta range is also one of the best boilers on the domestic market.

thanks for all the advice guys.... much appreciated.... this gives me a shortlist of boilers to consider.... deffo think my boiler is not up to the job in this cold weather.....

thanks

dave

Neither is my house warm but it's not the boiler it's the construction of the house the lack of insulation the size of the radiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
Below is a sizing chart based on a heat loss...
Replies
Views
Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
Back