New boiler and which? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler and which? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

griso1100

HI, JUST WOULD LIKE TO NOW YOUR OPINIONS. MY MOTHER HAS JUST BOUGHT A 2 BED BUNGALOW WITH 8 RADIATORS AND 1 BATHROOM(electric shower over bath).IT CURRENTLY HAS A BAXI BACK BOILER AND WONDERED IF ITS WORTH FITTING A COMBI WHILST PROPERTY IS EMPTY.IF SO WHICH IS THE BEST ONE TO GO FOR BUDGET FOR BOILER AROUND £1200 PLUS INSTALLATION COSTS.WNAT THE BEST MOST RELIABLE BOILER NOT THE ONE WITH BEST WARRANTY AS WOULD LIKE NOT TO USE IT. MANY THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
HI, JUST WOULD LIKE TO NOW YOUR OPINIONS. MY MOTHER HAS JUST BOUGHT A 2 BED BUNGALOW WITH 8 RADIATORS AND 1 BATHROOM(electric shower over bath).IT CURRENTLY HAS A BAXI BACK BOILER AND WONDERED IF ITS WORTH FITTING A COMBI WHILST PROPERTY IS EMPTY.IF SO WHICH IS THE BEST ONE TO GO FOR BUDGET FOR BOILER AROUND £1200 PLUS INSTALLATION COSTS.WNAT THE BEST MOST RELIABLE BOILER NOT THE ONE WITH BEST WARRANTY AS WOULD LIKE NOT TO USE IT. MANY THANKS

Depends on a number of things:

Water pressure and flow rate, how old is the existing system, where is the new boiler going in relation to all the connection behind the back boiler, where is the existing pump, what kind of control system does the existing have, gas route to back boiler will need to be changed, what about electrical bonding on existing electrical system, loft insulation, where is the hot water cylinder, is it gravity fed primaries, there are so many question you need to answer, what are you going to do with the flue when the Baxi is removed. And yes it is best to do things while the place is empty, also the Baxi Bermuda is one of the most inefficient bits of kit ever produced, I would not like to hazard a guess at what it is, a lot of energy wasted up the flue just to create flue gas buoyancy, I fitted 100s must be 30 years back.

These are only some of the question you need to answer, sure others will find more, where does you mum live also.

Get someone locally to come and talk to you and then get some prices

BTW as the man says turn off the caps please

you will be looking at far more money for the work your thinking of (unless you ment £1200 for the boiler only?). Probably best to get a local engineer to service the back boiler and give the system a health check and flush the system out if needed. If its in decent nick then leave it alone and fit a carbon monoxide alarm for peace of mind.

you will be looking at far more money for the work your thinking of (unless you ment £1200 for the boiler only?). Probably best to get a local engineer to service the back boiler and give the system a health check and flush the system out if needed. If its in decent nick then leave it alone and fit a carbon monoxide alarm for peace of mind.

AW,

I think he did mean just the boiler £1200 like you say it's a big change, the only thing about Baxi BB not certain what spare are left for them and the running costs are very high.

Tony

as far as i know parts are available, theres thousands and thousands of them still going strong, if its in good nick it will outlast most combis tbh.

the running costs will be higher, but will it account to the 2-3000 cost of the boiler change by the time the new boiler has failed?

thats where the main decision is.

Last edited:
as far as i know parts are available, theres thousands and thousands of them still going strong, if its in good nick it will outlast most combis tbh.

the running costs will be higher, but will it account to the 2-3000 cost of the boiler change by the time the new boiler has failed?

thats where the main decision is.

good advice that

There are very few boilers more reliable than the back boiler, but they are inefficient, that said, if you are going to spend maybe 3k on a conversion to a combi, (and will have a hole in the space where the bbu was), and new boilers expected lifespan 10 years or so (your savings would have to be £300 per year just to pay for it), then you could consider the environmental impact? So, the new boilers are not as bad on the environment, but the new boiler manufacturing process will impact on the environment, as will recycling the old boiler! Decisions decisions!!!

There are very few boilers more reliable than the back boiler, but they are inefficient, that said, if you are going to spend maybe 3k on a conversion to a combi, (and will have a hole in the space where the bbu was), and new boilers expected lifespan 10 years or so (your savings would have to be £300 per year just to pay for it), then you could consider the environmental impact? So, the new boilers are not as bad on the environment, but the new boiler manufacturing process will impact on the environment, as will recycling the old boiler! Decisions decisions!!!

Derek,

You need to take account for rising gas prices and as gas is nearly gone in the North Sea we are importing more LPG from Africa, we only need a few ships blown up and even if they don't gas prices are set to rise dramatically in which case there will be a payback on a BB to Combi, every little helps.

Tony

Agreed Tony, also the providers are always selling off surplus in the summer, this is a false economy you would think because then they have to buy it back come winter, but no, the increase is covered by price increases to the customer, so long as they make profit all year round they dont care.

Agreed Tony, also the providers are always selling off surplus in the summer, this is a false economy you would think because then they have to buy it back come winter, but no, the increase is covered by price increases to the customer, so long as they make profit all year round they dont care.

We are at the end of the chain Derek, little say in anything in this country now, I do like the no overflow pipe on WC now, I think that's the only good thing to come out of Europe.

Tony

For the money you will spend on a boiler; a worcester cdi compact or a bit cheaper ideal logic+. Or maybe a Intergas.
All based on achieving the correct mains pressure/flow.

Have a local engineer run through your options and go from there.
Post the job up in the forum someone will be able to help you out.

may be an idea to first think about improving the propertys insulation? many energy companies will do insulation for next to nowt or free.

if your mother is an oap or on certain benifits she may be entitled to a free boiler/system upgrade in the near future.

you also need to consider the cost of the fireplace work, ie remove boiler, flue liner, new pot, brick up and plaster, new fire, new box and liner if chimney is in bad condition......... theres are a number if costs to a boiler change that need to be considerd.

how about a multi fuel stove?

Can replace with a Baxi Bermuda He condensing back boiler, provision will have to be made for condensate pipework though. Existing fire can ot be used as boiler comes with electric fire front - just another suggestion.

Given everything already said.
It is a big expensive job so get 3 quotes - the guys need to visit the property and see.
You question was about best /reliable combi.
You could have a problem with any.
Some problems are caused by poor installations - so get reputable installer.
And personally I would go for the long warranty.
Because you know those manufacturers have the faith in their product to last at least as long as the warranty and you have peice of mind knowing the only maintenance bill will be an annual cst of servicing for the time of the waranty.
5 year warrantys are common, 7 and 10 years are also possible.
Makes:
anything from Baxi group, Worcester Bosch, Vaillant and there are more...

Probably easiest to list those to avoid but is that slander or libel?

Thanks again everyone for your comments. Decided this time to have the existing boiler 'Baxi Bermuda 45/4 M' serviced and looked at to see if its working properly if so leave it alone for now and replace it when need be. Anyone have a rough idea how old these boilers are. Also any gas safe registered plumbers in the Swinton South Yorkshire area willing to do the job for us please let me know. Thanks again everyone much appreciated.

Is that the same person writing as the ORIGINAL post? :)

Yep Terry,

Click first at the bottom of this page and it will take you to his post in CAPITALS, at least he's made a conscious decision, some people come on here wanting to know the ins and out of a ducks bum, rattle our cages and sod off, disappear into the ibis, perhaps asked the next door neighbor and though they got more sense out of them, never to be seen or heard of again....phew :detective:

You know it was anyway you put CAPITAL in CAPITALS I'm not as daft as I sound, am I ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sensocomfort with outside temp sensor. RF or...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
Back