New Boiler Help | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Boiler Help in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jrobinson88

Hi Everyone, me and my partner have just bought a new house and we are in need of a new boiler, the current boiler is a floor standing one that is in the kitchen. We have called a local gas engineer who has told us to stay away from Baxi and to look at either a duo tech or an ideal logic+. He is saying go for the ideal logic+ as apparently this is a boiler you can install and forget about totally and as long as it is serviced yearly it will not give any problems at all. I am just looking for any reviews on this boiler and also looking at what everyone else would recommend? We are looking for something which is going to be reliable and not break down all of the time! Thanks in advance! Johnathon

Hi Jonathon.

I am assuming that your new boiler will be a combi, based on the models you mention? Is the existing floor standing boiler a combi, or is it heating the hot water via a cylinder?

I'm a bit confused by the advice you mentioned - the engineer told you to avoid Baxi, but to look at a Duo-tec or a Logic+ ?

The Duo-tec is a Baxi!

Its possible that he was advising you to avoid the newer Baxi Duotec GA, and to try to get the older Duotec 1, which had a good reputation. You can still get Duo-tec 1, but you might have to shop around. The Potterton titanium is essentially the same boiler.

The Logic + is a good recommend - well thought of by forum members, and probably the biggest boiler success story of the last few years. So long as you specify the "plus" part, you will get a 5 year warranty.

The market leaders are Worcester, followed by Vaillant. Both makes have their fans and their critics, and no doubt you will get plenty of comments from both sides. Glowworm is made by Vaillant, but they are generally a bit cheaper.

There is a bit of a warranty arms-race going on with manufacturers at the moment, many of whom are either putting out blanket warranty upgrades, or upgrades if fitted by one their "approved installers". You should be able to get 5 years from most manufacturers on at least some models.

Main is another brand worth looking at - its a stable-mate of the Baxi, decent quality and quite cheap. On the downside, you will have to pay a £99 upgrade to get 5 years warranty.

I hope this helps.

Ray

Hi Ray, Thanks for the response - apologies I cannot for some reason do paragraphs! - The boiler we currently have provides heating through a hot water tank which is in one of the bedrooms. Hmm, that's interesting information as he definitely said to stay aware from baxi, he said he was baxi accredited but that he would not recommend them and would recommend the logic+ over any baxi currently. He also said the logic+ was a top of the range boiler and nothing would beat it. I see that you are recommending Worcester and Vaillant, is there much price difference between these makes to the Logic+? When I was on the telephone to him I mentioned Worcester saying I thought it was a good make, he said they where until they joined up with bosch and now they are not very good, not sure how true this is or whether it is just he doesn't fit these boilers? Thanks! Johnathon

Hi Jonathon

I think your first issue is whether you really want to change to a combi from your current set up. Combis are very convenient for installers, but do have drawbacks for householders, particularly in terms of filling a bath quickly. Do a google search for "combi boiler or cylinder" and you will get tons of information.

I wasn't actually recommending Worcester or Vaillant - just noting that they were the market leaders. :) Their entry level boilers will be a similar price to the Logic+ but their higher end models will be more expensive.

Logic Plus is a good boiler, and would certainly be on my shortlist. I'm still confused by your installer saying "avoid Baxi, but consider duotec" - which is a contradiction.

Installers form opinions on boilers based on their personal experiences, and once they have fitted a boiler a few times without problems, they naturally recommend them.

To be honest, if you have a good relationship with your installer, its worth following his advice. If he is fitting what he is comfortable with, then he is likely to be able to sort out any niggly issues, he may well have a good relationship with the local rep or service engineer. The advantage of having a happy engineer working in his comfort zone probably outweighs any minor differences in brand quality.

Hi Ray, Thanks for the further response. Obviously the cost needs to be factored in but we are wanting something that we can put in and then "forget about" not having constant issues with it...I will take a look at the Worcester and Vaillant boilers now, in your opinion would it be worth spending the extra and going with one of these or sticking with the logic+ that he is saying to install?! We are totally lost with boilers but are definitely wanting a combi, much easier than having to heat a tank of water when it may not be needed. Thanks Johnathon

Hi Jonathon.

I don't fit boilers or mend them, I just wholesale them. I stock and sell all the boiler brands we have discussed so far (apart from the Potterton Titanium). Each has its place in the market. Asking which boiler is best is a bit like asking which car is best - they all have strengths and weaknesses. Is it worth trading up from a Ford to a BMW? Is a Skoda just as good as a Volkswagen?

I think my final paragraph of my previous post probably sums up my advice best - if you have an installer you trust, go with his advice.

Wouldn't swap to combi when you have nice system working, just change boiler. Logic+ is good. Make yourself list with pros/cons and you will see ;) Dont forget about warranty. Good luck.

If you go for combi then baxi, potterton and main are all from same manufacturer and the price isnt bad. Some of these boilers do get niggling problems from time to time but are often cheap to fix. Ideals of the past were horrible boilers however the logic plus seems to get good reviews on here and offers a good warrenty, only issue really is once out of warranty ideal parts are generally expensive. Dont consider any of the low budget makes from the likes of b and q or wickes and you should be able to fit and forget atleast for a couple of years aslong as it is installed correctly.

Some good advice given but equally as important is that you allow / pay for your installer to do the job right as in cleaning the system , installing magnetic filter etc as you can buy the rolls royce of boilers but if you are trying to run sludge / muck from an old heating system through it, then it will fail just like the cheaper tat. As alluded to by Ray, your installer is as important as your boiler.

he probably means the baxi neta-tec - if so i agree stay away.

were fitting the ideals

Hi Everyone, me and my partner have just bought a new house and we are in need of a new boiler, the current boiler is a floor standing one that is in the kitchen. We have called a local gas engineer who has told us to stay away from Baxi and to look at either a duo tech or an ideal logic+. He is saying go for the ideal logic+ as apparently this is a boiler you can install and forget about totally and as long as it is serviced yearly it will not give any problems at all. I am just looking for any reviews on this boiler and also looking at what everyone else would recommend? We are looking for something which is going to be reliable and not break down all of the time! Thanks in advance! Johnathon

Sounds like you've just called a random local Gas Engineer, or was he recommended?

I'd recommend calling at least another installer to have a look at your system and your requirements, to see what they suggest.

You haven't mentioned your location, there are installers from all over the UK on these forums, someone will be nearby for you.

This way you'll have two quotes to compare and should have a clearer idea of what you need.

If you want something reliable, that's not going to break down a lot, then why don't you try the Intergas range of boilers, they use a smaller number of parts compared to other manufacturers, which makes things less likely to fail. They also carry a five year warranty when installed by a approved installer.

On the other hand you've got the Vaillant range which now has a 5 or 7 year warranty.

Intergas - Smart Choice

Central heating systems for the home | Vaillant

I am with anz, fit an INTERGAS, only 4 moving parts. far less to go wrong unlike Ideal, Vaillant, Baxi Worcester etc

I am with anz, fit an INTERGAS, only 4 moving parts. far less to go wrong unlike Ideal, Vaillant, Baxi Worcester etc

You gonna try the new ferroli model then stevie boy?
It also has only 4 moving parts. No plate hex and no director valve:)

Aren't you supposed to be recommending Alphas?

They must be really bad if the Alpha man has gone off them.

LOL,:willy_nilly:

Really not fused on the Intecs ATM!

Never thought I'd see the day when everyone was suggesting people fit an Ideal. Is the Logic+ well made then?

Johnathon

Have you lived with a combi ?

OK if you just take showers. Running a bath can be painfully slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
I need someone to replace my boiler, I am...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
This question has been discussed a couple of...
Replies
Views
Back