New boiler issues | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler issues in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waterworx

Hi there,

A heating engineer recently replaced a boiler at a property I own. The existing boiler was a very reliable 20 year old Vaillant but had had it's day.

The system comprises a boiler downstairs, around 7 rads and a water cylinder upstairs.
Can't remember the make of the new boiler but it's a condenser and pretty decent quality, not quite as good as Vaillant apparently.
He also replaced both motorised valves.

There is a problem though, my tenants have told me the rads are got ALL the time, even if only the hot water is on! They are having to turn the central heating temp to 0 on the boiler as a fix until I get it sorted out.

The heating engineer ensures me it's nothing he has done (we have never had this problem in the past though) and it could be the way the pipes are connected upstairs near the cylinder - that the new boiler is more powerful and pushing the water into the rad pipework when it's not needed or something to that effect.
He said we would have to take up the carpet and floorboards to check the pipes!

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

thanks.

Perhaps the heating motorised valve he renewed is letting-by, rare but not unknown.
You really need to have him back though.

Hi Mountainman,

What do you think about the water being forced down the wrong pipe theory! Is that a possibility? If he is claiming it's nothing he's done should I be expected to foot the bill for the investigation he does?

You need to get the engineer back to sort this out, it could actually be quite dangerous.

As for who pays what, sort that issue out later, your tennants safety is surely more important.

It sounds like a wiring issue to me. Doubt it will be pipe work related if he's only changed the boiler and valves.

Hi Mountainman,

What do you think about the water being forced down the wrong pipe theory! Is that a possibility? If he is claiming it's nothing he's done should I be expected to foot the bill for the investigation he does?

Always possible but I would have expected the problem to have been evident before the boiler was changed.
MM

that the new boiler is more powerful and pushing the water into the rad pipework when it's not needed or something to that effect.
He said we would have to take up the carpet and floorboards to check the pipes!

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

thanks.

Whoever fitted the new boiler should have checked the system worked O.K. after they'd finished, although they may have done and it may have worked.

It sounds a simple as a motorised valve actuator stuck open for the heating.

Not impressed with his/her statement above about what may be wrong.

Just a thought but, since it is an installation requirement for MOST warranties on MOST new boilers, a flush out (NOT necessarily a POWERFLUSH!) would reveal any error in the running of the pipework (were there an error there) when the GSR turned individual rads on and off to flush them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of you cover central London? I need someone up there to check what's going on with this system/installation before gong back to the installer.

He may have wired the 2 ports in wrong and ch is not shutting off

A quick update on the system. The installer told me that he replaced 2 Honeywell valves downstairs next to the new boiler (Mains system boiler) - and there are NO valves upstairs next to the cylinder!
Does this sound like a standard setup?
note: CH was installed 20 years ago along with the original Vaillant boiler by a trusted acquaintance (and very successful plumber) of my parents.

Nothing wrong with positioning of the valves and if he has only replaced them then he will not have modified the pipework.
As mentioned previously, it could be a wiring issue.
Bizarre as 2port wiring is pretty straightforward unless the wiring is crammed into terminal blocks and falls out when touched.

One other thought…I had a bit of work done in the kitchen about a year ago and got the builder/plumber to decommission a rad in there. Could that have anything to do with this? Could he have capped the pipes of incorrectly or something of that nature?

Mountainman - in answer to your post above, the installer definitely did not touch any pipe work - he's adamant about the fact that the valves and boiler installation are all perfect and so, ergo 'it must be a fault in the existing pipework'

I would guess then that your only way forward now is either get him back to trace the fault or get another engineer to do the same.
The former may be slightly cheaper unless you have upset the original guy.

One other thought&#8230

Mountainman - in answer to your post above, the installer definitely did not touch any pipe work - he's adamant about the fact that the valves and boiler installation are all perfect and so, ergo 'it must be a fault in the existing pipework'

It's very easy to keep overlooking a fault - sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes to spot something wrong. If the problem were with the pipework you'd have noticed it before now, I think.

masood has offered to help sort your issues with this,if that does not work out for whatever reason put a post up in the need a plumber section

The work that's been done capping off the kitchen radiator would not be the cause of this problem. You are looking at wiring problem, zone valve not been put into operation, ie: the little lever on the side is still stuck in flushing position (have a look at the side of the valves and see where the lever is sitting, A or B?) or could be the valve is passing but unlikely if they have been replaced.

Steve, I got your PM about meeting on Friday, but my replies are being are not being sent as your inbox is full! Please give me a call - I'm keeping Friday morning open but I need to know if it's definite

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
C
That's good to know - thank you
Replies
Views
Cabe F
C
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Back