New Boiler istall Qs | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New Boiler istall Qs in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peteisfishing

Just been to quote for a bbu out combi in, however, noticed a big creda power shower/sp in the bathroom. Trying to get some info on it at the moment. But looks as though i will have to install a regular OV system. Cust would like it to all to be put in loft.

What should i be looking out for in regards to water pressure, location of FE tanks ect ect. Also is there a HW tank that can be put on its side for laying in loft? i have seen this done before but didnt pay much attention to it. The boiler will also be going in there if possible

Cheers all

Also, i am sure the FE for the CH must be above the boiler, might have to lift this on a platform me thinks. even though it is on a fully pumped system, or could it be possible just to increase th height of the overflow pipe??

Cwsc has to have a higher level than the f&e. So that if coil splits, there is less chance of contamination of the Hws

Horizontal cylinders are available. You can't just turn a cylinder on its side. It will collapse

You don't have to have a ov system to have gravity water. You can still have a sealed system. Just have to keep cwsc and cylinder

Base of F&E needs to be min 400mm above the top of the boiler and 1000mm above the tees for feed and expansion or it will draw air.
Probably better to change it to a sealed system.
You can order horizontal cylinders, They are expensive tho.

You would be cheaper and easier to swap the shower and fit a combi.

Seems to be a bit of an experience issue here,which means you will not be able to advise the customer correctly or fairly,maybe get a more experienced person in to help you do the job correctly and learn from

imho

I am going back there tomorrow to check out what feeds the shower has, if it is just cold i will put in combi but leave the cwsc in to provide a draw off, feeling it is hot and cold feeds though. try and persude them to change shower, dont think they will though. Tried to get hold of Creda today but no answer. There is a picture of it in the shower section. The other problem in the house is space. Ideally it would be great to get it in the loft, but that aint gunna happen having read your advice. Might be able to leave cylinder where it is and put boiler in loft. would have to lift it though to mee the 400mm height

Thanks for the help

Puddle, i agree with what you say, that is why i have asked the questions on here to ensure that it is done correctly, i will also get advice from elsewhere, thing is most people around here are convering to combi's which i havedone plenty with zero complaints, a while since doing OV though, thanks for the advice

Seems a lot of messing about just for the sake of keeping an existing power shower, price of fitting tanks and cylinder in loft would be massive compared to a combi,if you have to do this make the heating pressurised by doing away with the heating feed and expansion tank as the heating with insufficient head would drag air in.Personally i would fit the combi and with the money saved the customer could upgrade the shower to a mixer fed off the combi... Not a big fan of fitting boilers in lofts,as most people dont want to comply with regs ,lighting,permanent access,boarding out etc

Last edited by a moderator:
The prob is the shower is top notch thing, jets an all, having a closer look tomorrow

The prob is the shower is top notch thing, jets an all, having a closer look tomorrow

if it is one with multiple jets i would strongly advise you to fit an unvented cylinder,has the shower got an internal pump or external

unless the ps is similar to a mira event , with the pump built in to the unit , what s the problem with using existing shower valve, doing away with the pump, linking inlets and outlets and fitting a combi?
decent 35kw will deliver enough mains pressure hot water for a shower and body jets , 42kw even better.
do away with the cwst and link main to cs's to give balanced hot and cold, sorted. might have to change an orifice or 2,bc diaphram and check all tap adapters , but apart from that , unless theres lead pipework or old securex(drifted) fittings on the existing supplies , doubt you lll see many problems.
if you ve got the room some of the combis with built in storage deliver not far from the same as a seperate unvented .

Last edited by a moderator:
The pump is internal, thats worth a look 0.004. will update on findings tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Back