new boiler old rads flushing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new boiler old rads flushing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ash121

Hi guys

Ideal isar boiler has conked out pcb fault which has been replaced previously rather than replacing the pcb again shall be replacing the boiler with an ideal logic plus 30 combi boiler

As the is the boiler is not operating due to the fault with the pcb, before the new boiler is installed and in order to dislodge any sludge that maybe in the old system

I’m I correct in saying I could drain the radiators via the rad drain point fill back up via the boiler filling loop and drain again a few times?

Is it okay to leave the filling loop open to increase the pressure?

Don’t want to remove the radiators individually, is the above okay to do? are there any other methods?

Once the new boiler is installed cold and hot flush shall be carried out and sentinel x400 added for upto 4 weeks then drained again a few times and then sentinel x100 added, magnaclean shall also be installed to the system

Cheers

You can hire a power flush machine for around £50 - much better to get the system cleaned out before fitting the new boiler.

It will probably come with instructions, but if not, there's plenty of info on the net re how to power flush a system.

X400 will put any magnetite present into suspension, and then you can pump it out while the system is hot.

the rads are not very old do dont want to hire a power flushing machine, wish to keep costs down and use mains water to flush...

the rads are not very old do dont want to hire a power flushing machine, wish to keep costs down and use mains water to flush...

You may regret that decision at some point, but of course the customer is always right.

You could mains flush the system once you've removed the old boiler, before you install the new one! Mains on the return, drain hose on the flow! that'd get rid of a great deal of the initial muck. then hot 'X300' and cold flush once the new boiler is installed!

If you're fitting a logic plus it may pay to fit a magnetic filter too. That'll guarantee least grief from the manufacturers and greater protection against mechanical breakdiwn IMHO :)

good idea! magnaclean shall be fiitted, could the flushing still be done the way i mentioned also?

you could drain down connect a magnaclean and add cleaner, you could then fit a pump or rewire boiler pump and circulate the cleaner and possible pickup sludge in magnaclean while cleaner is circulated for a few days. You of course wont have any heat to help the process.

or you could hire a powerflush machine of course which is the simple and best option.

good idea! magnaclean shall be fiitted, could the flushing still be done the way i mentioned also?

It's best to flush before you install the new boiler guaranteeing minimal muck passing through the new boiler! If you drain system, close all rad bleeds then mains flush though you'll wash out a lot more sediment than flushing 'system full'. Most of the gunk lies on the bottom of the rad, slowest moving! It really depends on the state of your system water to be honest :)

no problem i shall close the rads down and do one by one and leave the filling loop open

if its not too late, I had exactly the same situation last year so when the boiler was off i fitted a drain cock to the flow pipe. now when i want to flush the system i just close the flow and return service valves on the boiler, open the drain cock on the flow, open the filling loop valve and it flushes all the pipework through with mains flow. i would also reccommend closing the rads down and doing them one at at time that way you know you've done them all and not just the path of least rersistance.

I think mains flushing comes a poor second to power flushing - there are so many twist and turns in the system and air locks in radiators, etc, that make it hard to flush out magnetite. In this case you can't even run the system hot with a cleaner to get the sludge into suspension.

When you can hire a power flush machine for £50/£60 and do the job properly, I think not to do so may well be a false economy.

Removing and flushing the rads is the other safe option, which doesn't come with a cost.

no its not a diy installation! i flushed the system prior to removing the boiler myself, the installer hung and connected it up! theres nothing wrong with that?

no its not a diy installation! i flushed the system prior to removing the boiler myself, the installer hung and connected it up! theres nothing wrong with that?

There is when you claim a GSR left you with problems that would be dealt with by any professional involved with gas safety.

i didnt claim that the gsr left me with problems at all! i was merely quering a few issues which seems common and confirmed by other members of the forum and ideal, i am more than happy with the gsr

Fair play to you, I wish I had customers who took ownership of any or all problems I left behind.

i guess it depends on the customer, personally i dont see a major issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Sensocomfort with outside temp sensor. RF or...
Replies
Views
Correct way to do it!
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
Thanks, yes I will ask him when he comes in a...
Replies
Views
Back