new boiler on one pipe system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new boiler on one pipe system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOD

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
looking for advice on fitting a new boiler to a one pipe system

The existing boiler is a kingfisher cf80 with gravity hw and pumped ch.
problem is the ch circuit's a one pipe system all in 15mm and customer doesn't want it upgraded to two pipe system.

will the warranty on a new boiler be ok if fitted to 1 pipe system ?

will a condensing boiler even work ok on a 1 pipe system or will the boiler read as a fault a greater than 20 degree difference between flow & return ?

not even sure how this system has worked up until now as I thought the max heat flow through 15mm pipe was about 10kw.

I put a post up very similar to this couple weeks back , pretty much same same circumstance as to what your saying . Wasn't sure if it would work very well and suggested a whole rip out to customer . Passed it on to a mate to install as couldn't be bothered with hassle of call backs if it became problematic. Turned out it worked but was still as slow as ever to heat up rads .

thats one of my biggest worries too, getting numerous call backs.
I'll have a look for your thread on this, but am starting to think I'll do the same as you did and offer complete re-pipe or walk away.

cheers

I remember ya post gaspastemania ... Did you make the right choice?

Blod you can fit it but there's loads of potential comebacks and future grief to take into consideration B4 you go ahead. Id check out the previous post to give you an idea of the thoughts of folk here.

Are these one pipe systems not very common or just common in certain parts of the country? I have been doing this job nearly 5 years and have yet to find one of these strange beasts!!!!

they are very common normally in older houses. the alarming thing was when i went out to view the job i looked at i was the only plumber out of the batch that turned up who noticed it was one pipe and informed the cust the probs she had . I honestly think that plumbers out their at the mo either A, dont give a monkeys and will fudge anything or B, just dont understand anything about plumbing.

Are these one pipe systems not very common or just common in certain parts of the country? I have been doing this job nearly 5 years and have yet to find one of these strange beasts!!!!

There are loads still lurking around in ex local authority properties in Ncle Tom :) Those who bought back in the 80/90's ... !

I remember ya post gaspastemania ... Did you make the right choice?

Blod you can fit it but there's loads of potential comebacks and future grief to take into consideration B4 you go ahead. Id check out the previous post to give you an idea of the thoughts of folk here.

When the cust rang me back i explained all the potential hassle she could have and said i'm not overly interested in it due to call back factor . She still wanted me to do it so i priced it and got a mate to do it who was quiet , he said it took forever to heat up but seemed to work . I think the cust was more happier to actually get it done without paying the stupid quotes she was getting not had a phone call back about anyhthing as yet .
Cheers for advice tho .

When the cust rang me back i explained all the potential hassle she could have and said i'm not overly interested in it due to call back factor . She still wanted me to do it so i priced it and got a mate to do it who was quiet , he said it took forever to heat up but seemed to work . I think the cust was more happier to actually get it done without paying the stupid quotes she was getting not had a phone call back about anyhthing as yet .
Cheers for advice tho .

I think sometimes you got to weigh up the job, tell the custy all the potential issues and let them make the decision ultimitly. At least you can say "I told you so" should the fan get covered :). I remember your's was for a friend which kind of adds to the sweatin ya gonna do before you fill up and test! LOL

Cheers!

I've read the previous post now, and i'm going to try & persuade them to go the full re-pipe route & if they don't want it I'm gonna sit this one out.

cheers guys - you might have just saved me a load of grief :)

looking for advice on fitting a new boiler to a one pipe system

The existing boiler is a kingfisher cf80 with gravity hw and pumped ch.
problem is the ch circuit's a one pipe system all in 15mm and customer doesn't want it upgraded to two pipe system.

will the warranty on a new boiler be ok if fitted to 1 pipe system ?

will a condensing boiler even work ok on a 1 pipe system or will the boiler read as a fault a greater than 20 degree difference between flow & return ?

not even sure how this system has worked up until now as I thought the max heat flow through 15mm pipe was about 10kw.

Did one recently actually on an old manse. We changed it like for like even put it on s plan and it worked no problem. What you are doing is simply changing the heat source nothing else, so it's no problem. If you start putting TRVs on then you can cause issues unless they are suitable for a one piper. I wouldn't do that though as sometimes the rads run to each other with no tees so you stick a TRV on and when it cuts off you knock three rads off. Trick is change like for like, maintain flow direction you can s plan the system but thes about it.

trouble is although you make the customer awarein writing prior to starting when the provebial hits the fan they are holding your money and usually very unwilling to part with it till everthing is as they want it
saying i told you so doesnt pay the merchants bill let alone your wages and going down the legal route to get money isnt something we want to be doing

Don't know if it's been mentioned but not sure how efficient the boiler runs on a one pipe due to the return temperature not being adequate.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but not sure how efficient the boiler runs on a one pipe due to the return temperature not being adequate.

on some of the one pipe systems i've seen in the past the last rad on the loop is barely luke warm, I'd guess much more than 20 degree temp difference so not sure how a new all singing all dancing boiler will handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
In a one-pipe heating system with a condensing...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
Back