New boiler or parts? Am I being told the truth? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler or parts? Am I being told the truth? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrish

I have recently been told that my boiler is blocked and quoted for a new boiler. I felt the plumber was trying to rip me off and after some advice.

I have a worcester 28i combi boiler.
The technician ran the boiler on service mode and showed that the pressure built up until the pressure relief valve released pressure at 2.5/3 bar. I still get hot water so the burner etc. is still working. I thought it was the diverter valve that needed replacing, but he claimed that the whole boiler is blocked...Is that true if I still get hot water?

Would it be possible to replace the heat exchanger and valve? Would that be cheaper than a new boiler?

Already had quotes £500 less than he claimed for a new boiler (plumbforce direct) and read a lot of very bad reviews of them online.

Get another opinion if you are not happy.
If you post in the 'Im looking for' section someone might be local

As said get a second opinion from a plumber on the forum or use a local engineer. It can sometimes be more cost effective in the long run to fit a new boiler as parts can be expensive a lot depends on the age of the boiler.Look on the gassafe register if you can't find anyone local.

I have read your post carefully - my observations are as follows

1. I if you do not trust your engineer get another
2. Often replacing parts is more than a new boiler - there are new ones
at B & Q for £500
3. You state the boiler is blocked - have you a magnetic filter/non mag filter installed ? and have
you always kept up on c/h water condition ie c/h protecter chemicals
4. I am suprised he has not offered you a power flush
5. Mind you if it was mine I would look have the expansion looked at - NOT A DIY job
about £40 from bes

looks to me like the c/h side is in trouble but the thing is struggling on hot water side
act soon -
:92:
centralheatking

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a second opinion from another registered gas engineer. Preferably one recommended to you from someone you know and trust.
Sounds like the expansion vessel has gone or the pipe leading into it is blocked. Both are relatively straightforward fixes for a competent engineer.

Do you have to take the cover off to get at those? If you do should you really be telling somebody thats what the potential issue is.

chrish post a request with your general location here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] there may be someone near you who can come out and have a look for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
Back