New boiler problems | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler problems in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RichInRenfrew

I live a two storey 3 bedroom housing association property. The old boiler has just been replaced with a Greenstar 28i Junior. The old system used a hot water storage tank which was sited upstairs. The new boiler is sited downstairs in the same position as the old one, in the kitchen. I’m experiencing few issues, and I’d like to understand them and go to the housing association with coherent reasons/symptoms for the issues. Firstly, it takes forever for hot water to reach the taps upstairs and downstairs. When it does it takes ages to reach the required temperature. If I then turn off the hot water at the tap, and turn it on again about a minute later the water is scalding for a few seconds, and then runs cold again (for ages). The next thing is that if the hot water is being run upstairs and a downstairs hot water tap is turned on, the upstairs one stops running. I’ve read the new boiler is an entry level boiler. I know diddly squat about water systems so if you need more information from me I’ll be happy to do so. I’d appreciate any pointers. Lastly I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Your new boiler is a combination unit which does heating and water.
When you open a tap the boiler starts to heat the water which then needs to get to the tap.
If you switch the tap off then on again the cycle starts again hence you get very hot water that was already in the boiler then it needs to heat up and get to the tap again.
All hot and I would assume cold taps now run off of the cold mains so depending on your pressure and flow rate may not be enough to run two outlets simultaneously.

sounds like its working as it should, it will get to the tap quicker when the heatings on. It will go cold every time you turn the tap off and back on. Is the eco mode on?

combi boilers are a one tap at a time hot water system tbh. the boiler will give a set flow rate, every tap open will share this rate. the closer tap will get the best performance.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your replies. I guess I'm stuck with the issues then. To answer the eco question, We tried it out at first but turned it off. One other question. Can the flow rate be increased. Even with only one tap running upstairs the flow is quite weak.

The flowrate on a 28i junior is 11.4 ltrs a minute. I have fitted a couple of these lately both were improvments on the previous cylinder/tank fed system.

If you arent getting the correct flowrate maybe theres a valve been put into the pipework somewhere that isnt open properly. What flowrate has been recorded in the boiler log ? Back of the manual

the flow rate is dependant on cold main more than anything else, sounds like your cold water supply is not to great. the boiler has a flow restrictor fitted so if its runing at correct flow rate then it cant be increased anyway without removing the restrictor which voids warranty.

Once again thanks to all for the feedback. Firstly, our cold water presssure is very strong, so that makes me think that there is a valve somewhere. Conversely, the flow rate recorded in the manual is 13.4 litres /min. Strange since the flowrate only capable of 11.4. Time to get the Housing Association on the case. Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
If the pressure is going that high with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Personally I would remove the tmv valve and go...
Replies
Views
Back