New boiler - Radiator valve fitted instead of bypass valve - is this legit ? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler - Radiator valve fitted instead of bypass valve - is this legit ? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

interesting100

Hi
I have recently had a 24Ri boiler fitted to an older system
It needed a bypass valve fitting to allow the pump to run on after the boiler is turned off to help the boiler cool down

Instead of a differential bypass valve, the plumber has fitted a radiator valve, (opened 2 turns out of 4.5) to a 15mm bypass tube between the flow and return pipes, to bypass the valve.
Its an Eclipse BS2767

Is this a legit thing to do? or will it reduce the efficiency of pumping water round the system, if it is always partially bypassing

This is now extra relevant as we are adding rads to the second floor, so any loss of pressure is undesirable

advice appreciated

It'll do some of the job but its not right. Why didn't he fit a bypass?

He probably didn't fit it cos it was cheaper to supply a single rad calve than a by-pass :)

I can see that its £20 cheaper - but is it an incorrect thing to do, regs-wise ?

Follow the manufactures instructions is the right thing to do and no excuse for fitting what he has.

I'm not saying its right because its cheaper, just it's probably the reason he did it.

I'm not saying its right because its cheaper, just it's probably the reason he did it.

sounds like the plumber is either a penny pincher or needs to update his brain on the regulations.

It is S plan, with 2 x two port valves
My main concern is that it will reduce the pressure to get the HW to the second floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Glad to have helped! Yes, a condensing...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Hi d36csr. You aren't a bicycle plumber are...
Replies
Views
Back