New boiler with option of ASHP later? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New boiler with option of ASHP later? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hello

Hoping for a bit of advice on how to upgrade my central heating.

I've currently got a conventional LPG boiler which I think must be about 20 years old (aprox age of house) which I'm planning on upgrading when our kitchen is done.

Where I get confused is what to replace it with. I would prefer a combi so I don't waste heated water but I don't know if a combi will be suitable as it will need to cope heating a 4 bed house. The house has hot water taps in the kitchen, downstairs toilet, upstairs bathroom and en-suite. It will also need to provide hot water on demand for two showers located upstairs.

Can a combi cope with this hot water demand? What if both showers are being used at the same time with the heating on?

As part of the upgrade I was going to replace all radiators in the house with larger oversized radiators in preparation for installing an ASHP sometime in the future (we don't want to use LPG if we can use an alternative).

Could a combi be used in conjunction with an ASHP or do they just not go together? Ideally the combi could use a small amount of LPG to provide hot water and the ASHP could take care of heating requirements.

Thanks!

The combi won't cope with multiple demands.
As for using an ASHP, that probably won't cope with the heating demands either.
But you could combine the ASHP with a boiler that will heat a storage cylinder that would give you adequate hot water and heating.

You need someone who knows what they are doing and also have a substantial budget for what you want

Thanks very much for your reply.

It sounds like I should be going for a system boiler if that gives me the option of 'bolting on' an ASHP sometime in the future. At least I can get the tanks removed from the attic.

I had a plumber come and fix a boiler breakdown recently who recommended I look into getting a combi so it's hard knowing who trust.

If anybody can recommend a good plumber in the Congleton area, that would be great!

Hybrid type of ASHP. It has Gas also. You really need to insulate your house everywhere and upsize all of your radiators. ASHP fun at a 48 degree flow temperature at best. It will have a cylinder reheat every 10 days to ward off bacteria

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

Is it fully decorated? / can you get at the...
Replies
Views
N
Re: Zoning upstairs. If you don't have 1 set...
Replies
Views
Working at a flow temp of 30 ? As a dt of 30...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Back