New cast iron soil pipe reqd | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New cast iron soil pipe reqd in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John t

Anybody know of any company that supplies and fits the above. Customer wants all her plastic replacing to suit period house.
Thanks

Have a look at [DLMURL="http://www.saint-gobain-pam.co.uk/soildrain/index.cfm?page=%20Timesaver%20BS%20416-183"]Soil & Drain & Rainwater : Timesaver BS 416 : Saint-Gobain PAM UK[/DLMURL]

It's dead easy to fit so you might want to give it a go yourself. Failing that they may be able to recommend an installer to you.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. John, as Mike says cast iron and easy to fit. But be sure to check with client Re:- Timesaver as it does not have the same looks as traditional cast iron pipe and fittings. During the time i fitted it a Company named Thames Bank in London were my suppliers Good Luck

Hi. John, as Mike says cast iron and easy to fit. But be sure to check with client Re:- Timesaver as it does not have the same looks as traditional cast iron pipe and fittings. During the time i fitted it a Company named Thames Bank in London were my suppliers Good Luck
thames bank are long gone luxury flats where their yard was in london as previously mention st gobain are in west london and i think frazer ellis are still going somewhere in sth london
not sure if you gan get traditional socketed cast anymore its been all timesaver for a few years now its going to be very exspensive to redo a house in cast last time i bought any it was best part of a 100 quid for a length of 4 inch

Try Graham's or Plumb Centre you probably want 3/16" cast. Time saver is okay but its got a big chunky rubber insert in its collars. It don't look the part at all. We used 3/16" cast and jointed it with either run lead ( a bit of a palaver to do, but you can still get the buzzers and pots, squirrel tails and all that as far as I know, but its all expense and you may never use it again, you could hire it I suppose) you then want a wheel cutter (chain cutters, tend to crack pipe and have a bit of a learning curve, and you don't want to be practising with pipe probably costing about £80 a 6' length)or you could use an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc. You could also use cold caulking compound to joint it and spout nails to fix it. Depends what sort of a job you want. I think Carron was the old manufacturer. Last lot I used was years ago now and the lengths where a bit bent because they where just making it with the old moulds till they fell apart and then I think they where going to stop making it.
If you are going to use it for a single stack system, make sure the bos pipe threads are okay. Once again could go on. And get a mate to help, its heavy stuff and you have got to be accurate.

Bernie

Did a job about 2 years ago all the svp's were in cast and bought it from Drainage Center (Part of Plumb Center). They did not stock it but ordered it in with quite a quick delivery.
As Bernie says, I used special caulking which at the time was around £100 a tin and consists of a hemp like material mixed with cement. I only used about 1/4 of the tin on the whole job.
Steve
Steve

I think the cold caulking compound is called PC4. It's messy so wear gloves, in the old days it was a mixture of OPC and asbestos!!!. Its not now of course, as far as I know that is. You just damped it down and caulked it into the collar with an appropriate caulking iron. But it takes time to set, so best do things, like offsets for over the eves venting, if your setting out past the eves overhang that is, the day before.

On new work in the old days, we had targets of about 2-3 hours for a complete c.i.soil stack, cut and jointed. And Oh! Aye! You where usually required to carry the pipe's yourself. I have forgotten the name of the black anti rust stuff covering them, it was something like Dr Angus Smiths solution. It gets all over you on a hot day, if its fresh, its okay when its weathered a bit.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Turn your phone 45 degrees!!! The picture is...
Replies
Views
That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
https://www.monsterplumb.co.uk/floplast-110mm-x...
Replies
Views
Back