new central heating install | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new central heating install in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cheekylad30

hi everyone.

before i start, please no jargon or "i can go better than the other guy stuff". i,d like to keep it simple and honest.

i have read hundreds of different forums relating to central heating and its amazing how many know best. my son has had an isar ideal he30 combi fitted in a 3 bed terraced house with 10 double convector rads, 9 with pegler terrier valves, electronic timer in kitchen and manual thermostat upstairs on the landing. he had this fitted in mar 2006 by council contractors and so far they have not had any problems with it other than a new timer within first 6 months. it heats up very well and they even have a thermostatic shower fitted run directly off boiler aka hot and cold pipes and even in winter it has power and heat as opposed to the old electric shower that struggled in winter and went scolding hot then freezing cold if cold tap turned on.

anyway, i am thinking of fitting an ideal logic+ 30he combi boiler with 7 double convector rads in my 3 bed semi. would this be a good choice as ideal have 5 year guarantee with this model and also based on sons non problems and lastly, what kind of prices should i be looking at in the midlands area to have this fitted with old hot water water tank taken out....a complete new system and pipework and electrics etc etc.

please give me some advice.

A very good boiler the logic + was on one of there training courses yesterday .A big improverment from the isar models .best to ring around to get 4 or 5 quotes locally .Cant realy price a job with out seeing it , you could need new larger pipe size if your having a 30kw boiler fitted .

Ideal = cheaper than WB or Vaillant .
The logic has been out a couple of years now , fairly decent but had probs with leaking heat exchangers , prob sorted now .
If it was me id go for a Vaillant Eco tec pro 28 , which you could prob get for approx same price as Ideal + some installers could maybe give you 5 years warranty . Price ? Approx £2500.

Aey - thats North East prices tho ! Maybe more in more affuable areas like the Midlands

so is that it guys? 1 says might need bigger size pipes even though its a new install so no gas pipe there yet!! another saying about £2500, and another criticising the price of the other guy. i havent asked for a definate exact price. i have asked for a price guide as based on your experiences of fitting full new system with the info i provided. jeez how hard is it to read my info and interpret quickly what an average job would cost with the info above.

Your name says it all
You didn't mention there was no gas pipe!!
You got a ball park figure from a member if you want anything better get someone in to price it for you we can't see your house so to get a realistic price get a few local plumbers out then you will know

Last edited by a moderator:
theres nothing cheeky about my name mate. i,m just asking a specific question/questions about central heating costs and after reading these forums it seems some are more interested in outdoing someone elses reply. its a simple thing to say i,d be expected to pay around such and such a price for what i have specified. whats cheeky about that??????

Your name says it all
You didn't mention there was no gas pipe!!
You got a ball park figure from a member if you want anything better get someone in to price it for you we can't see your house so to get a realistic price get a few local plumbers out then you will know

some people are well cheeky ,they just dont understand simple advice .

Read back your post
If your a builder would you price a job without looking at it?

if your a car salesman would you buy a car with out looking at it ...the list is endless my friend lol

i understand perfectly sal. the guy who said 2500 was ridiculed by another guy so is 2500 an underprice or an overprice. he stated he was up north and i,ve stated i,m in the midlands. i have stated its a new install with old water tank to be taken out so surely as qualified and experienced guys you would take the assumption that no previous central heating means no gas pipe (other than at main!).

cmon guys i may be being misread or something but i,m certainly not being cheeky. i just want to know if the boiler i am looking at is ok and what kind of sensible price i,d be looking at for a complete new install with 7 rads before i waste someone's time and effort coming round and pricing it. what i,m saying is that if someone said 6 grand i,d be right showing him the door just the same as someone sayin 1 grand will be shown the door.

as a builder i can give a price guide. so if someone gave the info i have gave but for an extension i can give a ball park. that ball park figure would be translated to a fixed price upon viewing so yes i can see where you are coming from with that 1 but i feel i have gave sufficient info to warrant a price guide??

It all depends on the installer u get u could get a rough and ready installation or a professional fitted one,
make sure u ask for all of it in copper and none of that plastic rubbish,get a few quotes. I guess shouldnt be more than 3500.

anyway, i am thinking of fitting an ideal logic+ 30he combi boiler with 7 double convector rads in my 3 bed semi. would this be a good choice as ideal have 5 year guarantee with this model and also based on sons non problems and lastly, what kind of prices should i be looking at in the midlands area to have this fitted with old hot water water tank taken out....a complete new system and pipework and electrics etc etc.

please give me some advice.

yep read it back and what i meant was i am thinking of having it fitted, not me myself fitting it<<<<<<<< derr to myself so i apologise for my mistake. i am looking for a guide price to have this system installed from new from the old hot water cylinder tank.

thankyou kel4783. i dont want a rough and ready fitter, i,d like it done properly. and yes i,d like it done in copper pipe throughout and also all piping boxed in with the conduit stuff (white plastic) but all upstairs to be hidden below floorboards. i know the rough size of radiator but would talk that through with the fitter at time of pricing it. the reason for this post was when i mentioned it to a mate with a price a fella had give me and i said 4 grand, he spat his beer out. well i dont know if thats good or bad so i,m asking for a guideline if possible so 3500 isnt far off 4 but way off 2500

The price is all about what the requirements of the customer are ,copper or plastic hidden or surface mounted, lifting floorboards length of the house size of rooms etc , i think the two prices you got should be a good guideline ,if you find somebody whos got no work on he might give u a better price then the next guy who is very busy and give u a real high price just to get you off hes back .as i said best to get few quotes in . good luck

Cheekylad30,

I normally find that people that are so insistent on a ball park figure for work to be done, do not tell the whole truth about their house and then moan when the estimate is higher than the ball park figure.

You say it’s a three bed semi,

Now is that a 4 story Victorian EOT. A 30s/40s large semi or a newish 2 story small semi?

Now how would you like the rads placed, is that under the windows or back to back on the spine wall?

Now did you want the boiler in the loft (ladder need fitting, floor needs laying, lights installed) or hung on the kitchen wall, Do we remove the cabinets or will you?

Was that 2 layers of carpet on top of 3 layers of lino on top of 5 layers of newspaper?

Or is that a several thousand pound Axminster that requires a carpet fitter to relay?

Or a foam back carpet (that falls apart when we look at it, never mind touch it)?

Are your fitted wardrobes fitted on top of the many layers of carpet?

How much junk is under the bed that has to be moved?

Are all your rooms full of junk so we cannot see the floor?

Is the house empty or lived in?

How many cats, dogs, snakes or any other pet we have to watch out for?

Now do you want a low ball park figure that goes up after viewing the house or do you want a high ball park figure that comes down on viewing?

I will give you two ball park figures £1500.00 and ££6000.00.

Now take your pick they are both useless figures and you are no better off than you were before.

As other people have said gets some estimates of local installers. and stop moaning that no one will give you a figure.

David.

What part of Midlands are you, anywhere near me?? You do need to see the job, a rough price would be £3000 for everything you are asking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
The water leak needs to be sorted out first it...
Replies
Views
Well that doesn't help at all with the question
Replies
Views
I was unable to create a second account for...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 126113
D
Back