New central heating installations zoning | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New central heating installations zoning in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

proelitegas

Hi been told by the gas safe inspector that all new installations need zone valves fitting for each floor with a stat can anyone shed any light on this ie wiring piping thanx

yep pain in the bum ! lot more pipework and wiring required [ unless you have just replaced the boiler on an existing system,nudge nudge,wink wink !! ]

I'm sure this rule is for Town house type houses where you have an house on 3 plus levels, unlike the standard house on 2. I'll find out for definate on thurs i'm sure i had this in an exam or we covered it at college.

Re piped a how few months ago this way pretty easy extra two port and stat, just have to remember what pipes are upstairs and which downstairs, and i belive it is if the house is over a certan sqm (poss 150 sqm but may be completly wrong just figure rings a bell )

Council are currently redoing 2/3 bed semis round by me on one heating zone

150sqm sounds about right, unless they changed it again.....I picked up a honeywell booklet from PTS the other day on Part L controls, not got round to reading it yet though

I was told the 150 sqm no longer applies . This Reg has been about for nearly a year and still people are very unclear [ inc myself ] . I had an email will try and dig it out .

It's a requirement on all new installations now according to the gas safe inspector

Correct me if im wrong but this is 2008 the new reg update came out in 2010 ?

Here is a quote from the part L article in the Worcester installers choice magazine :

'' Previously, the regulations required houses above 150m2 to be time and temperature controlled with the upstairs separated from the downstairs . That makes sense as these houses are so big, but on a house covered by the latest requirements, the upstairs and downstairs are so close that the changes will probably make no imp act whatsoever to the running costs .

The downside of these new regulations is that the pipework arrangement now has to be extremely complex. For the majority of installations in the uk, the installer would hang the boiler on the wall, run the pipework for the heating flow and return into the ceiling of downstairs [ or the floorspace of upstairs ] . The pipework would then run around the rooms upstairs and there would be drops for the downstairs . With the latest amendments, this is now impossible as the pipework has to be arranged in such a way that zones will control the flow of water to the upstairs and downstairs differently . There is therefore now an awkward and probably expensive arrangement and valves are going to be difficult to position . ''

PHEW !! wish i had a scanner !!

yes its correct that its a requirement to zone heating systems after the change to part l of the regs late 2010, worcester have a tech bulletin below.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/cache/file/23/changes-to-part-l-affecting-new-heating-systems.pdf

if you are working on a job that gained its planning permission before the date the regs was changed then you do not need to alter the design to meet the new regs. I am currenty working for a builder that has 2 jobs with planning pre and post change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That's a fair better idea or costly mistakes...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Yes I’d do that too, just shut the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
Back