new central heating system | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new central heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

news

I am thinking of having a new boiler and radiators at the moment we have micro bore pipes, I have been told by one engineer that I will need new small bore piping and by another that the existing pipework downstrairs is ok but upstairs will need to be change dto 10mm. I intend having a condensing boiler, 7 new radiators with thermostats and relevant controls. Could anyone advise please?

News

Depends what you want to spend. There is nothing wrong with 8mm pipe if it was fitted correctly. Any rads over about 2kw should be re piped in bigger size as 8mm is too small.

Depends what you want to spend. There is nothing wrong with 8mm pipe if it was fitted correctly. Any rads over about 2kw should be re piped in bigger size as 8mm is too small.
8mm is far too small on a old system. Would only just work if brand new.

Start from fresh, you keep the old copper should help you out a bit, dont use the old bad move,

Yes that's right. I used to train engineers on system design many years ago now but even so ,would not be best practice to use 8mm.

If you trained engineers lol ( think you mean plumbers )
Them you should know what tamz said is correct

I trained engineers at BG and best practice was to fit a min of 10mm.
I would never advise to fit a new condensing boiler on old 8mm pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fitted 1000's of miles of the stuff and it works perfectly well within its limits. If you know system design you'll know it's capabilities.

On a side note just about every new build house done in the last 10 years is piped in 10mm plastic which has in ID much the same as 8mm copper so that must be wrong too?

Maybe he nows better tamz he trained engineers not plumbers like you and me lol

I have fitted 1000's of miles of the stuff and it works perfectly well within its limits. If you know system design you'll know it's capabilities.

On a side note just about every new build house done in the last 10 years is piped in 10mm plastic which has in ID much the same as 8mm copper so that must be wrong too?
New pipe and old pipe tends to be different, from my experience old systems on 8 mm pipe struggles to work,

Your right there but that don't mean it won't work if a customer can't afford to change it then what's the problem it will still do the same job

I have done miles n miles of 10mm in new build town houses , now as far as i am aware barretts,persimon wimpey etc pretty much all have same systems it works o.k more concerned about the 25 year life span of push fit and chip board floor ,,,,harumph !!!

Maybe he nows better tamz he trained engineers not plumbers like you and me lol
Never said I know better, just trying to give somebody some advise, we don,t have to agree.
BG call them gas engineers not plumbers.

Your right there but that don't mean it won't work if a customer can't afford to change it then what's the problem it will still do the same job
Not saying it will not work ,just trying to give advise on best pratice.
New 10mm is a lot different to an 20/30 year old 8mm system.

I have done miles n miles of 10mm in new build town houses , now as far as i am aware barretts,persimon wimpey etc pretty much all have same systems it works o.k more concerned about the 25 year life span of push fit and chip board floor ,,,,harumph !!!
Yes have it in my house (barretts house) didn't work well when I moved in, ended up repiping some of it.

I would be more concerned about the wobbly walls when a door slams than the plumbing !!

Bet you wouldn't have old scaled up 8mm on your house.

I have but it is not scaled up and never will be.
If it was correctly fitted without excessive runs or on rads that are too big and the system is not sludged up it will be fine.

BG are not the best people to quote best practice from.

thote it was 6 mm on barrier forgive if wrong

You would think BG being the biggest name in heating in the country would set a standard that everyone else would follow .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Back