New combi boiler - any advice? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New combi boiler - any advice? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikef

Hi

I have a Ferroli 24kW combi boiler, c.8-10yrs old, 'D' energy efficiency-rated, works reasonably well but a plumber who visited last week on an unrelated job offered me the following deal:

New Ideal Logic+ 30kW boiler (A-rated) with 7-yr manufacturer's warranty, supply and fit for £1,350 (plus £400 cashback under the government's boiler scrappage scheme - is this still available?)

The boiler would be supplying one mixer shower and 6 radiators throughout a 2-bed flat. The plumber's advice was that this would greatly reduce the time taken to heat the flat and therefore save a considerable amount of gas (quote: 'after about 20-25 mins with the heating on you'll want to turn it down!').

The flat is a ground-floor flat with very poor windows (no budget to replace these yet, unfortunately) and so pretty cold in the winter. Has cavity wall insulation and I'm in the process of insulating under the suspended timber floor which should reduce the cold that gets in from below.

Does the above sound like a good deal, and more specifically is the Ideal Logic+ boiler any good, read mixed reviews online but more recent opinions as this is a fairly new model, would be appreciated.

Also how much should a manufacturer's warranty be relied upon? Obv if the company goes bust it's worthless, but is it as good as, say, an energy supplier's boiler cover?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I think boiler is fine maybe bit too big for 6 rads and one shower, not sure about scrappage scheme though. But good price for new boiler.

Boiler will have quite a lot of redundancy, meaning that really it's too big for what you want it to do, however, sometimes this can be an advantage: as the plumber says, your rads will heat up quicker, but also you'll be able to run the hot water at a higher flowrate, so fillng a bath will be much quicker.

Given that your present boiler is 8-10 years old, it is about due for a problem like a diverter valve issue which could cost about £250 or so to fix, and that you'd be leaping up to 'A' rated efficiency too, it sounds like a good deal.

As to warranty, it'd be worth seeing the small print to check exactly what is covered. But 7 yrs warranty sounds good to me! All in all I would go for it given all you say above.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
The Orion is about 65% efficient so not great...
Replies
Views
If you turn it off completely you will have no...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Sorry I should have mentioned the reason I ask...
Replies
Views
Back