new combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hiney777

hello, I'm thinking of changing from my gravity feed system to a combi one. I was wondering what work would be involved in changing old pipes and radiators or if they would still be ok to use. I will be getting a skilled plumber in so no need to post about that side of things. What is a good boiler make? Only asking as if it involves a coplete re do I'll keep what I've got

Thanks

Pipes and rads normally would be ok to re-use, would be good practise to try the system under a bit of pressure before hand to see how it holds.

You need a gas safe engineer to install your boiler.

Boilers i like and find and havnt had problems with would be Worschester, Baxi, Ravenheat. Stear clear of your Biasi's, Vokera, anything Italian. Vailants are good, way to expensive though, especially if it goes wrong.

An experiances engineer will be ale to tell ou straight off if a job if easy or not, depends alot on postioning of old boiler and cylinder.

i usually fit worcesters, baxi's are ok. Been fitting a few viessmanns lately, pretty impressed by them athough cant comment on the afterservice

Kip, where I buy vaillants they are at least £50.00 cheaper than worcester on comparative models. Parts are roughly the same, except i'm out repairing way more worcesters than vaillants, though worcesters are quite a bit more common.
Hiney, the job is called a conversion, the gas main will 99% be increased, a new hot supply, 15mm, will be run from the boiler to appliances(as far as is pratical), same for cold main. As the new boiler is condensing(regardless of combi) the boiler could be relocated due to plumage, proximity to neighbours boundry etc. With regards to radiators, if they are over 25 years old replace them. If they are 15-20 years old, it depends on there condition, corrosion- damage, scale-thermal efficiency loss, an engineer will advise. Also, due to part L, trv's and controls may need to be installed, depending on what you have already.

Kip, where I buy vaillants they are at least £50.00 cheaper than worcester on comparative models. Parts are roughly the same, except i'm out repairing way more worcesters than vaillants, though worcesters are quite a bit more common.
Hiney, the job is called a conversion, the gas main will 99% be increased, a new hot supply, 15mm, will be run from the boiler to appliances(as far as is pratical), same for cold main. As the new boiler is condensing(regardless of combi) the boiler could be relocated due to plumage, proximity to neighbours boundry etc. With regards to radiators, if they are over 25 years old replace them. If they are 15-20 years old, it depends on there condition, corrosion- damage, scale-thermal efficiency loss, an engineer will advise. Also, due to part L, trv's and controls may need to be installed, depending on what you have already.

I agree with you. Vaillants and Worcesters are not much different in price, I am a Vaillant installer mainly as I get 5 year warranties with them. I also believe they are a better boiler than Worcesters by far. By the way I was told that Worcester are going to increase the price by 4% if they haven't already done so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you. Vaillants and Worcesters are not much different in price, I am a Vaillant installer mainly as I get 5 year warranties with them. I also believe they are a better boiler than Worcesters by far. By the way I was told that Worcester are going to increase the price by 4% if they haven't already done so.
how do you get a five year guarantee on a vaillant ?

You need to attend training sessions and get to kno wthe local rep. Similar to Worcester but non of the 50 boilers minimum nonsense.

I fit Vaillant, reliable,plenty of features ,more expensive than say a baxi Duo tec, But worth the extra £200 odd quid IMO
Having said that Ive been fitting allsorts this year customers are buying stuff themselves, I fill in the garentee and tell them to ring the mf when it f%cks up in 18mnths .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Consult your installer, they might want to fit...
Replies
Views
T
That would seem prudent, although I never see...
Replies
Views
Probably temperature sensor or thermistor that...
Replies
Views
Hello All. The pump was disconnected and...
Replies
Views
Back