New engineer | Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New engineer in the Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just thought i should say hello as a new gas engineer. Recently qualified and now have my Gas Safe card in hand so just need to find someone to take a chance employing a new engineer and let me prove to them how hard i can work and how fast i can learn :smilewinkgrin:

Hello Neds. Welcome. What about the company that signed off your portfolio? If you cant find anyone start out on your own. Always remember the basics Tightness test, Gas rate, Ratios etc and take on jobs you are comfortable with. Remember to keep your training manual on you to reference to and there is a gas safe technical advice if you are looking for someone to discuss the situation with.

Starting out you might be pretty slow so charge for the job and not time. Always, always have access to Manufacturers instructions from homeowner or get a smart phone so you can download them. Get manufacturers technical phone numbers from say no to 0870.

Charge a fair rate for both YOU and customer.

Last edited:
Hello Neds. Welcome. What about the company that signed off your portfolio? If you cant find anyone start out on your own. Always remember the basics Tightness test, Gas rate, Ratios etc and take on jobs you are comfortable with. Remember to keep your training manual on you to reference to and there is a gas safe technical advice if you are looking for someone to discuss the situation with.

Starting out you might be pretty slow so charge for the job and not time. Always, always have access to Manufacturers instructions from homeowner or get a smart phone so you can download them. Get manufacturers technical phone numbers from say no to 0870.

Charge a fair rate for both YOU and customer.

Thanks for the advice Duncan,

The company I did my portfolio with aren't local to me (would have to pay to cross severn bridge every day too) and they don't really have enough work on to keep me there anyway. Its a shame really because I got on with lads there pretty well.

So far I have only been taking on little jobs like cooker installs and boiler servicing but I have a full heating install to do on my own house soon so that should be some good experience. To be fair i mostly did full installs when doing my portfolio so i feel more confident than some of the other lads i trained with who did almost nothing but cp12s. I have a applied for a dozen jobs this week so here is hoping I actually hear back from any of them.

Hi Neds, just as an example from when I started out, I sent out 75 letters to everyone and anyone who was remotely connected to our trade for a chance..I think 2 companies replied both saying No. It's just about a bit of luck and knowing someone who knows when a job is available. Keep asking and you will get it where you want.

Hi neds I am not a gas fitter just a run of the mill plumber I wish you all the best in your career especially in this economic climate

Cheers guys.
I have actually got through to an interview with a firm next week so fingers crossed for that one and i'll keep bashing out the applications for now. Couple of agencies I called told me to come back when i have several years experience :skep:

Good luck with interview mate!! We all know how hard it is at the minute. If you dont get the job carry on with your own stuff!!

Welldone bud,

II'm hoping to hit the dizzy heights if being GSR one day but I won't run until I can walk

I wish you all the best finding work and remember your training and you won't go wrong

All the best

Welcome master neds to the forum , and good luck with job hunting im sure you wont stick

Hi neds. Good luck with the job hunting. Stick at it something will come up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I am currently in the forces...
Replies
Views
Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
Hello and welcome
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
Back