New gas safe member! Probation help please! | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
Guest viewing is limited

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New gas safe member! Probation help please! in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this week Ive received all my gas safe certification and am currently on my 3month probation period. I had a letter confirming my local inspector coming out to my house to check me out. Does anyone know the sorts of things they will go over with me? Any help will be appreciated, I'm move nervous of this than doing my gas course itself. Thanks mark.

just be calm, not there to catch you out, but want to see your safe. so he'll probably ask you to do a let by, and tightness test for starters. show him a boiler youve serviced if possible, avoid fires, keep it simple. show him a nice tool box with gas testing kit, any labels etc all in one place. Have you fga certificate availble and in date. I might be wrong but he might want to see some 3rd party insurance certificate. ask any questions you have and hell tap away on his laptop and give a pass out. simples.

velcome to da mad hoause.

You will be ok. Highly unlikely he will ask for your public liability insurance. If in doubt of anything you are asked, tell him to just give you a minute, then check your manuals for the correct info.
As said above, he is there to make sure you and your customers are safe. Have you an earth bonding clamp? In as much as he may not ask, get one and also get a smoke blanket or a fire extinguisher.

Gas safe, just extrude confidence and it will be fine. Cap off supply and install bonding if any open ends. Make sure u have read the mi for what ever your working on and all will be fine!

I hear there is a special section hear or Gas Technicians (Private Club?).
My hope is to get to 1,000 posts as recommended, then ask croppie to plead so the Mods can let me in.
If allowed in, I promise to be a guud bouy, honest

Private GSR forum is like The Hotel California, you can check out but you can never leave.

I hear there is a special section hear or Gas Technicians (Private Club?).
My hope is to get to 1,000 posts as recommended, then ask croppie to plead so the Mods can let me in.
If allowed in, I promise to be a guud bouy, honest

heard that before now!

piece of cake and nothing to worry about it, he might ask a few basic questions like permissable drop on a tightness test or ventilation requirement for a 7kw fire...

just remember he's there to help you, not catch you out.

Don't forget your ldf, stay calm and take your time with every thing you do. Its been said already but familiarise yourself with all the mi for the appliances you will be working on and you will be fine, it's basic gas safe knowledge.

As previous experienced members have said. Also I would take the inspector to recent jobs that you have done so you are more confident to remember what you have done. Have your analyser handy. And your corgi book if you get asked something you cannot remember by heart look it up. Revise ventilation and your tightness test limits for the meters that you are taking him/her to. Boiler installation would be ideal to take inspector to, as you will cover most of the things they want to look at. Just prepare like you did for your exams so the knowledge is fresh in your mind. And last but not least the inspectors are down to earth and are not there to catch you out, as long as your work and knowledge is up to standards they will be happy.

Don’t forget to test your U gauge before you hook it up!

When my inspector called, I sliced open the anaconda with some gilbows, placed it between my legs, and fired that baby up! Used those delicious 8-inch flames to light up the tequila shots that we did together! Then we turned the meter round and watched it go backwards when we put a flueless instantaneous water heater on for 5 minutes and 4 seconds! (YOLO)

You've passed all your exams, he's not there to test you as such. Just ask you the basics and make sure you're competent. When he's gone you'll undoubtably say, well that was easier than I thought. We've all been there, relax!

Hi Mark

I know how you feel, I have an inspection due soon which is a bit nerve wracking with not knowing what to expect.

As I work for a large maintenance company working mainly on commercial HVAC (I'm an AC engineer by trade) work, I have not completed any domestic work on my own yet.

I need to get some work done before then i suppose as my registration is under my own licence not my employers!

Thanks Warren

Hello, this week Ive received all my gas safe certification and am currently on my 3month probation period. I had a letter confirming my local inspector coming out to my house to check me out. Does anyone know the sorts of things they will go over with me? Any help will be appreciated, I'm move nervous of this than doing my gas course itself. Thanks mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you can afford to lose 1/2 or more of your...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
My approach to everyone is that there looks to...
Replies
Views
you really need some one who knows as its not...
Replies
Views
Yes, it's difficult to get people who don't...
Replies
Views
Back